A: Oil Pipework Oil Drain Plug

Martyn Goodwin

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I have just tried to install one of the new style A22 SS drain plug/banjos on my C Comet but it fouls the R/H FT23/2 engine plate. Is this normal because I can't see it going in without removing metal from the engine plate? Anyone had the same problem or is just me???
I had that problem as well - Remove the side plate, modify for clearance then refit.

Martyn (sorry about pic quality)

drain bolt.jpg

Chris.R

VOC Member
I had that problem as well - Remove the side plate, modify for clearance then refit.

Martyn (sorry about pic quality)

View attachment 34276
Hi Martyn I think this is something the club spares Co need to be fully aware of they are apparently not, I will have to modify the plate as you have I take crap photos at times I will take photos of what I do when I make my own mod of the side plate. Thanks Chris.

greg brillus

VOC Member
Not a fan of those banjo bolts, pain in the ....... to stop them leaking. Usually the smaller 5/16 bolt that leaks, the copper washer not up to it.

Russell Kemp

VOC Member
VOC Spares list A27 BANJO WASHER CPR/NA (A) and A27/2 1/4 BSP DOWTY SEAL (A) or get a seal kit from V3 products (see ad in MPH).

Ian Savage

VOC Vice President
VOC Member
I have spent the morning with my twin motor and a Comet c/case and a box of measuring tools.
I have concluded the oil feed into the pump is about 0.07" (1.8mm) closer to the prop stand plate on the Comet than on Twins, who knew! The raised boss on the A22 drain banjo has clearance from the prop stand plate on the twin of about 0.06" (1.5mm) therefore on the Comet there is interference of 0.01". As soon as I am allowed in to the Spares Co I will turn the boss down on all the stock A22 drain bolts and we chang the drawing for future production, to give clearance on Comets .

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I have spent the morning with my twin motor and a Comet c/case and a box of measuring tools.
I have concluded the oil feed into the pump is about 0.07" (1.8mm) closer to the prop stand plate on the Comet than on Twins, who knew! The raised boss on the A22 drain banjo has clearance from the prop stand plate on the twin of about 0.06" (1.5mm) therefore on the Comet there is interference of 0.01". As soon as I am allowed in to the Spares Co I will turn the boss down on all the stock A22 drain bolts and we chang the drawing for future production, to give clearance on Comets .
A great example of someone in the VOC who cares and will take action for everyone's benefit. Thank you Ian.

Chris.R

VOC Member
Ian That will no doubt solve the problem for the future without grinding or reshaping the engine plate and will be a great result and an engineering solution will I be able to return mine as yet not fitted to be turned down to fit when you can get to it.