Oil Deflector for UFM

davidd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Attached are photos of an oil deflector for the oil cap. I used an alloy disc for a year, but a fellow VOC member dropped it in my oil tank while helping me in the pits. The late Don Brooks told me that in his first race on a Parkin, provided by Derek Parkin, the cap sprayed his faceshield on the first lap as he tucked in for the straight. He had to go another 15 laps with impaired vision!

OilSplashGuard01_zpsda3366a3.jpg

OilSplashguard03_zps3384ae2e.jpg

David

Black Flash

VOC Member
Hello david,
looking at the pictures of your bike, you seem to be hacksawing and drilling every possible part of your bike to shed weight.
I hope this new additional pretty solid looking part is made from Titanium then. ;-)

Bernd

davidd

VOC Member
Bernd,

It is interesting that I made many mods to the bike that I thought would add weight. I was willing to do this because the mods added reliability. The bike weighed 285 lbs when I started. After all the mods it weighed 285 lbs. I think that I did add a small amount of weight, but I had made the body work incredibly thin and I must have offset the added weight. I don't think I could shed too much more very easily. I did make an aluminium steering head that I estimate will save 5 lbs. and allow me to run taper roller bearings. I have not yet gotten to the machining.

The little deflector is SS and it was made from shower rods that were salvaged from a motel that was being demolished. Just the right diameter, but heavy!

David

bmetcalf

VOC Member
I've long advocated replacing the FT134/FT162/FT166 assembly at the rear brake stays with Seeger clips similar to the ones in the clutch, for Racers, of course.

Black Flash

VOC Member
hello David,
I stopped smoking about 6 months ago and put on about 12 kilos since then, and I wasn't a flimsy guy in the first place ( more the red baron type of guy -no pun intended Andrew). so I think it is far cheaper and easier if I go on a diet instead of trying to make an alloy steering head or similar things.
thats why I went for a 600 cc topend kit in the first place.

Anyway winter is coming soon and so we have a lot of time to spin up the lathe and mill and maybe I can make a copy of your reflector in alloy.

cheers Bernd

davidd

VOC Member
I've long advocated replacing the FT134/FT162/FT166 assembly at the rear brake stays with Seeger clips similar to the ones in the clutch, for Racers, of course.

Bruce,

The stock Lightning/Flash brake torque arm is a little heavy. I used the stock nut and bolt at the front and I drilled the brake stud on the brake plate for a cotter pin after a jet nut. Maughan was out of rear brake plates in aluminum, so I had to make some.

RacerRearBrake_zps260373d0.jpg

David

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I rember seeing an Outfit years ago, He used a strip of alloy as a torque arm, But when he stopped on a hill, the alloy bent and I think it locked the rear brakes on, Cheers Bill.