Oil change

bengunnhrd

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Has anyone got a better way to do an oil change.
My method is to slide the rubber pipe A65 off A66 the feed pipe to the pump, and connect using copper tube to another piece of pipe and into a gallon tin, i then take the bleed nut out of the banjo to drain the rest of A66. Then the sump plug, wondering whats stuck on the magnet (had part of a shim once) when that has drained i jack the front of the bike up to get a better drain out of the oil tank. Then off with the filter cap and remove filter.
Reconnect the rubber pipe A65 to A66, new oil filter pre soaked. When altogether refill with oil, take off one of the valve caps and pour in half a pint of oil to help the pump scavenge, take out A22 and put more oil in the filter housing using a oil can.
Leave for an hour or so, turn engine over a few times and start

Tom Gaynor

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Oil change procedure

I took the advice in KTB, and tapped the feed banjo to take a drain plug (which bears an astonishing resemblance to a 1/4" BSF Allen screw). No need to remove pipes. Then drop out the sump plug, extracting the usual collection of broken con-rods and loose big end rollers, then, as you, presoaked filter, 1/2 a pint into a rocker inspection cap, fill up to step.
I've generally change the filter every three or four changes. I do have a modern "paper-type" filter, that came either from VOC or Vinparts, but have never tried one.
Any comments on these? Better / worse than the old sock variety?

Tom

Has anyone got a better way to do an oil change.
My method is to slide the rubber pipe A65 off A66 the feed pipe to the pump, and connect using copper tube to another piece of pipe and into a gallon tin, i then take the bleed nut out of the banjo to drain the rest of A66. Then the sump plug, wondering whats stuck on the magnet (had part of a shim once) when that has drained i jack the front of the bike up to get a better drain out of the oil tank. Then off with the filter cap and remove filter.
Reconnect the rubber pipe A65 to A66, new oil filter pre soaked. When altogether refill with oil, take off one of the valve caps and pour in half a pint of oil to help the pump scavenge, take out A22 and put more oil in the filter housing using a oil can.
Leave for an hour or so, turn engine over a few times and start

BlackLightning998

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Of paper filters

I took the advice in KTB, and tapped the feed banjo to take a drain plug (which bears an astonishing resemblance to a 1/4" BSF Allen screw). No need to remove pipes. Then drop out the sump plug, extracting the usual collection of broken con-rods and loose big end rollers, then, as you, presoaked filter, 1/2 a pint into a rocker inspection cap, fill up to step.
I've generally change the filter every three or four changes. I do have a modern "paper-type" filter, that came either from VOC or Vinparts, but have never tried one.
Any comments on these? Better / worse than the old sock variety?

Tom

Tom,

I have the drain plug/bottom banjo with the allen screw in it, makes life a lot easier.

I use the "full flow" paper filter - and change it with every oil change. Not sure how I'd go about rating it's performance, not sure how to compare really - other than to say it is quite easy to fit and use, I split open the one immediately post finding my cams and followers had destroyed themselves and found no trace of metal in the filter, but I did get a few bits on the magnetic sump plug.

I guess I take the view that, if the technology existed at the time of manufacture then Vincents would likely have used the full flow paper filter on the basis that it allows a faster flow through than felt (guessing) but still collects the bits, if there are any to collect. So my very amateur deduction is that it is likely to be a good thing, and a lot more straightforward to change.

I keep every filter, writing the mileage change on each box - not sure exactly why I do that but I guess it saves land fill and protects the planet.

Maybe all things Vincent will become so valuable that there'll be a market for old oil filters!!

Cheers