ET: Engine (Twin) Oil change with anti sumping valve

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
My B-Rapide has not been started in about 40 years. I am not sure how full the oil tank should be, but right now it is 4.1/2 inches from the top (1 or 2 inches below the round tube) and the oil level is 4 inches deep. So I think I do not have a wet sumping problem!
The oil looks very clear (golden color), except a black smear gets on my tool when it touched the bottom of the tank. I can't remember if I had changed the oil shortly before I parked it or if it is just that all the sludge has settled out of the oil.
There is a bar going across, You could feel it with a screw driver, About where you say, I have the level about there.
I would squirt lots of oil down the plug holes, And the rocker caps, Valve caps as well, Don't think you can get one , Too close to the UFM ?.
And turn the engine over many times, Maybe put it gear and push up the drive for a bit with the plugs out,
If you can get some help ?, See if the oil is returning ?.
After a bit, Use the kicker and see if you have compression, Putting your thumb over the plug holes ?.
We got a Twin going after being on the floor of the garage since the 60s !,
With the Timing cover off !, By just keep turning the engine over.
Good luck, Bill.

Chris Launders

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Do you have a friendly local garage with a rolling road for testing brakes, if you do see if you can take it there, oil everything up, take the plugs out and just keep it spinning over for several minutes.