Misc: Oil Oil Capacity

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
For most of my riding short journeys to -80 miles so long as the oil covers the 'shelf' to say 1/4 or so thats enough oil. The Vincent (Even the Comet) takes a long time to warm up. Too much oil in circulation is a mistake. A longer journey needs a measured approach.
I gave up on 2 start worms years ago and I certainly would keep an eye on the worm of the oil pump I have plenty of examples in my horror draw
somewhere there is a thread on circular relieving grooves around the end of the pump worm slots I always wanted to try that....

Last edited:

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Yes I agree with that for the B + C models, the shelf does not exist in the D oil tank, so I just look for a discernible air gap between the oil level and the bottom of the filler neck, ensuring the sump is empty and there is no more oil to be got from anywhere to raise the level when running.

Fortunately enough for me my D Comet does not seem to wet sump the slightest dribble over an extended winter break, I wish I could say the same about my Rapide.

A Nut

VOC Member
Hi Peter,
Thanks for that and the photos. I had to manufacture my own D tank as I could not find a second hand one when I made my Victor and decided not to make a chain oiler. I have suffered with oil mist (lots) ever since building it and like yourself tried reducing the level but it didn't help. I currently have a piece of sponge between the cap and seat base which I have to change regularly (definite bodge). Must go out to the garage to manufacture a deflector. The only bike I have with a 2 start pump is my Shadow and years ago suffered with oil issuing from the breather hole when thrashing it. I cured that by screwing a small deflector under the chain oiler spring. I can still just see the oil flowing beneath it and can check the oil level. Still didn't learn!
Brian