A: Oil Pipework Oil capacity of Egli

davidd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I was not aware that Patrick copied the original filler neck design for his frames. Non-Egli owners might be wondering what you are complaining about, but the early Eglis were designed with a very restricted filler neck, which seems to have been adopted for later frames.

012 (2).JPG

This is a shot of EV4's Filler neck. If you are too quick with the oil it will spill over and also it will run down the tank breather tube. This design was most likely done to minimize the loss of strength caused by piercing the 4" (100 mm) tube. It was certainly necessary on the prototype frame which was designed with very thin tubing. The use of thin tubing allowed the builders to work much faster and assemble the data necessary for the production build. The prototype frames were not designed for street use, although they may have been used for racing. I suspect that welding the filler neck onto the 4" tube did minimize some loss of strength and it was carried over to the production frames.

When building my own frame I made a 2" hole in the frame and slid a heavy gauge 2" filler neck in the hole and welded it up. Most owners are familiar with the welded bar in the UFM, so I made a small piece of SS and welded it to the bottom of the filler neck.

100_1583.jpg

When welded into the frame I slide a few 2 x 4s that position it at about 2/3 full in the tank. It is just a benchmark to gauge how full the tank is. The venting is done by the vented Monza oil cap that screws onto the threads.

100_1577_edited-1.jpg

In the photo, the parts are mocked up for the photo, so they are not in their final position for welding. I have leveling legs on the jig and I would use a level on the filler neck when tacking if in place.

I did not worry about the weight of the frame. Using slightly thicker metal did not add much weight and it should add some reliability.

David

TouringGodet

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
I found 50 foot rolls at the big box supply store, but instead went to one of the few remaining independent hardware stores in my area, and they still have reinforced plastic supply lines for sinks and toilets, most of their stock for that type of item is now stainless braided. With new tubing, and the new oil now darker after my ride yesterday, I can now see where the oil is.

IMG_3044.JPG