A: Oil Pipework Oil capacity of Egli

TouringGodet

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
What is the oil capacity on an Egli? How full do you fill it?

My sight hose at the front of the tank is not too clear. I changed the oil, and filled it until a spoke inserted through the cap had a level about 3” from the bottom. The backbone tube is 4” diameter, correct? I assume a previous owner put the white zip tie on the tubing as a level indicator, but eyeballing it, it looks like it is roughly in the middle of the backbone tube.

image.jpg

Paul Coene

VOC Member
Can't you see the level if you keep a strong flashlight against the tube ? The zip tie is indeed the OEM level indicator., not an invention of the previous owner. And there should be 2, indicating min. and max. level.

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
So maybe my zip tie is at the min level?

The flashlight idea is good, but the new oil is pretty translucent, I can’t see where it is.

Last edited:

Paul Coene

VOC Member
It looks like it. Changing the oil (and filter), I needed 3 l. to reach the max. level.
And - I just checked it out - the recommendation by Patrick Godet was: don't put more than 3,5 l in the thank when changing, which was "the original recommandation of the Vincent factory"

Last edited:

Paul Coene

VOC Member
So maybe my zip tie is at the min level?

The flashlight idea is good, but the new oil is pretty translucent, I can’t see where it is.
Maybe you should wait until the next day. The indication will be sharper.
In a new engine, Godet used MoS2 (molybdeendisulfide) which turned the level tube black.

greg brillus

VOC Member
That kind of semi clear hose is readily available (even though it is horrible stuff)......I would change it. The hose that is.......To make oil changes easier.

vibrac

VOC Member
What is the oil capacity on an Egli? How full do you fill it?
The answer to the second part is as I have found "carefully" I have on occasions forgotten and it takes a lot of time to clean the head and underside of the result. Its not a question of funnels its a question of flow, the bottom of the oil hole is restricted, certainly on the last few "Egli" back bones I filled, Its just a 3/8" or 1/2" hole at the bottom of a half pint tube (do your own metrics) you just have to take your time. its a real pain.