Oh dear! I'm sorry I found this photo online...........

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
No body will ever beat the late Malcolm Elgers Norton Dominator framed Comet the Comdon

Cyborg

VOC Member
Not my feeling. My Norvin has justified its existence itself in taking me all over Europe and back home on its own wheels so far.
It's just that the "two good bikes butchered" cliché is used too often. I can't imagine anyone breaking two complete machines to build a special, it's the other way round, Norvins are sometimes a collection of parts assembled to put another machine on the road. Let see what I will end up with this collection of parts that were on my shelves for years.View attachment 26456

At least your project has a British theme to it. Other than a Commando gearbox, my poor Comet engine is surrounded by parts from BMW,Yamaha, Suzuki,Honda, and Ducati. No idea what to call it.... desperately need some vowels.

Sakura

Non-VOC Member
At least your project has a British theme to it. Other than a Commando gearbox, my poor Comet engine is surrounded by parts from BMW,Yamaha, Suzuki,Honda, and Ducati. No idea what to call it.... desperately need some vowels.
How about Chimera? Greek fire breathing monster made up of many parts.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
I recognize that machine.
It's a NotrunVinBin.
These bikes are very well respected in racing circles.
They are known for their ability to squirt hot oil on competitors as they attempt to make that knee scraping inside pass.
Glen

Roslyn

Non-VOC Member
I think the biggest problem will be what to call it - a Vibsa?
My Brother has one and yes it is called Vibsa a Comet engine in a Bsa A10 and a bit tatty but goes well for a sincle 500cc lump and I have plans for my sad looking Shadow and thinking Yellow ios nice colour.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
I have a fellow who accosts me yearly at the swap meet to inform me that I have " ruined my Rapide" by converting it into a lightweight monoshocker with modern suspension and brakes.
The first year it had the borrowed Rapide engine in place and ever since it has had the all new 1360.
The Rapide engine is back in its non matching Vincent rolling chassis parts.
Every year I explain this and every year he chastises me for " destroying a Vincent" by improving its acceleration, braking, handling and suspension.
Finally last year I gave up on explaining that the bike is all new. He seems to have decided that there is evil in the world and this is how it manifests itself.
It takes perfectly good old Vincents and turns them into something lightweight and quick with modern handling etc. This is a very bad thing!
In frustration, I told him that the old bike caught fire and all that remained was the engine, so I cobbled something together to make use of it.
He seemed satisfied with that.
He's going to get really messed up when I show up on the old Rapide this year!

Glen

Last edited:

Cyborg

VOC Member
I have a fellow who accosts me yearly at the swap meet to inform me that I have " ruined my Rapide" by converting it into a lightweight monoshocker with modern suspension and brakes.
The first year it had the borrowed Rapide engine in place and ever since it has had the all new 1360.
The Rapide engine is back in its non matching Vincent rolling chassis parts.
Every year I explain this and every year he chastises me for " destroying a Vincent" by improving its acceleration, braking, handling and suspension.
Finally last year I gave up on explaining that the bike is all new. He seems to have decided that there is evil in the world and this is how it manifests itself.
It takes perfectly good old Vincents and turns them into something lightweight and quick with modern handling etc. This is a very bad thing!
In frustration, I told him that the old bike caught fire and all that remained was the engine, so I cobbled something together to make use of it.
He seemed satisfied with that.
He's going to get really messed up when I show up on the old Rapide this year!

Glen

It's not very good odds that I will have the Mongrel Comet ready in time, but certainly will for next year. If he gets upset with your bike, then no doubt mine with all it's Japanese bits will liquify everything in his bowels.