Offset ET28 hole in ET25 for more valve lift

Chris Launders

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Almost all J.A.P. engines used pivoted roller cam followers, the JTOR ones had the pushrods straight into them like the Vincent but are about 2/3 of the length, they are narrow enough to fit though as iv'e just offered one up to a rear cam to see, I also have some Ford roller rocker arms from some modern car these rollers run on needle bearings and are almost the same as the J.A.P. rollers and are no doubt cheaper and longer lasting.
Chris.

johnmead

Non-VOC Member
More on the MK5 cams and .500 lift. I made one roc
Almost all J.A.P. engines used pivoted roller cam followers, the JTOR ones had the pushrods straight into them like the Vincent but are about 2/3 of the length, they are narrow enough to fit though as iv'e just offered one up to a rear cam to see, I also have some Ford roller rocker arms from some modern car these rollers run on needle bearings and are almost the same as the J.A.P. rollers and are no doubt cheaper and longer lasting.
Chris.
Chris, do you know which years and model of Ford engine the roller rocker arms are from? I would like to get some to see if they can be adapted or if just the rollers can be used.

John Mead

johnmead

Non-VOC Member
Thank you for the link Bruce. I will also stop at the local Harley shop and see if they have any Sportster roller lifters.

John

Chris Launders

VOC Member
Hi I don't know which ford the rocker arms are from they were just laid by the scrap bin when I took a bike for a test some time ago, however I have some information that may be of use.
It was a 4 cylinder car motor with alloy rockers of 2 different lengths, the short ones have a part number (I think )in two lines.
Top line 060523 C
Bottom line XS706K528A1C
The rollers themselves are approximately 20mm dia, 7mm wide and 8mm dia pin, the castings have 06 cast on them, I assume this is the year.
I cannot read the numbers on the long rockers.
I cannot see being able to use the rocker arms as they are like traditional OHV rockers pivoting in the middle.
Chris.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
Just been scouting about to see if I could identify the rocker arms, they appear to be Mondeo/Transit 2.0/2.4 2001-6 probably others as well,
cheap enough 2nd hand to have a play with on evil-bay.
Chris.

johnmead

Non-VOC Member
I stopped by the local Ford garage and one of the mechanics gave me a roller rocker from a 2000 2.4 4-cylinder engine. I then stopped by the local Harley dealer and got a lifter from a "Iron Head" Sportster. It is from the 60s and that is when the HC VIncent roller cams were made.

The Sportster is a pushrod type automobile solid lifter. The roller has a Torrington needle bearing that rides on a spindle similar to the Vincent rocker pin. The rollers/bearing/pins are available as a set.

I then stopped at my machinist and he said that it would be easy to make up a cam lifter like the VIncent with a captive design for the roller like the Ford rocker. I am going to give another call to the guy in Colorado and ask again if he will sell me the stuff he has on the HC Vincent roller cams.

One more stop before heading home was at the engine shop that I use. They do a lot of NASCAR stuff (I live in NASCAR country). One of the guys in the shop does a lot of motorcycle and sportscar stuff and said that offset rockers should not cause any problems as they will not be radical as VIncent rockers are 1:1. Besides the higher lift I will also get a few degrees of longer durations. He said that the spring pressures are relatively low compared to race engines so wear should not be a problem.

He also mentioned DLC (diamond like coating) for the cams and gave me the name of the shop near Charlotte North Carolina (the capital of NASCAR country) that is only 40 miles from where my mother and sister live. Since I am retired I am going to run down there next week with the MK5 cams and lifters and get their opinion.

Thanks again guys for the help. I will let you know what I find out.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
davidd, you mentioned a few posts ago about buying cams "off the shelf " and welding them to a shaft, i've never heard of this, any more info as I am considering building an OHC conversion for some HD barrels/heads I have laying about.
Chris.

greg brillus

VOC Member
If this is for a racing Vincent.....How far do you think you need to go.? The NASCAR engines you talk of most likely rev to 9500 rpm or more.....Even the all out efforts that the Irving Vincent bikes are built to rev to about 7500 max And they put out about 145 HP from 1300 cc 2 valve engines. All the development work you talk of, perhaps you should talk to the Horner brothers who developed the Irving Vincent. The initial design work that was carried out on the heads that Terry sells was from John Trease....He is an out and out Harley man, and his period 3 59' sportster engine (featherbed frame) racer is in my mind the fastest road racing Harley in the world......It is his knowledge of racing and building high output Harley engines, and this is what went into The Vinton racer I mentioned earlier. Much of this work John told me he would likely never repeat, as it was just too time consuming. The bike was very competitive, although some weight changes would help, but the new generation of Manx's has changed the goal post a bit. The ratio you need to give 0.500" lift at the valve is 1:1.15 This from the 0.433 or 11 mm travel already. The other reason I need to make my own valves is because the inlets are 0.125" larger than standard. You generally need to remember the travel ratio of the rocker as well, this at the valve, which is one third up to two thirds down.....from the center line horizontally through the rocker and at right angles to the valve from the vertical.