Of the Vincent clutch - I think I am close to giving up now - what are the options?

BlackLightning998

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Just a brief update on my "clutch woes"

Evening All,

So just an update for Forum readers on the saga of my stock clutch.

You may recall I had it slipping on a hot engine, stripped and cleaned it and caused myself all manner of slip and drag problems that made the bike unenjoyable to ride to the point I was close to giving up and fitting a plate clutch.

As a last resort before the change I left my bike with a superb engineer member of our West London Section, Paul Packman. Paul has sorted out and rebuilt my clutch for me following a bit of machining and repairing worn parts and I rode for 130 miles today with the sweetest and lightest gearchanges I can ever recollect on the Vincent.

Several first gear selections from neutral had me looking down to check I'd engaged a gear it was so slick.

Yes I know it's only 130 miles, (Swallow's and summer and all that) there's lots more miles to do before the Manx GP but I'm feeling back on top of the world again with the Vincent - and the rain stayed off me all day today too......:D

And all that before we try the thurst bearing pushrod modification that Norman Walker has designed and had machined for me - life just gets better.

Thanks and much gratitude go to Paul.:D

I'm off to Bill Little's tomorow - taking the long way to put another 250 miles on.

Here's a couple of pictures from todays run - out in the Chiltern Hills.

Regards to all:D

Attachments

• IMG_0828.JPG
    IMG_0828.JPG
    903.4 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0831.JPG
    IMG_0831.JPG
    931.1 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
The Chiltern Hills

Hello Stuart,
What a super photo, You have made me homesick.!!
Three years ago I moved from Ruislip, I spent many happy hours on Ibstone Common watching Red Kites = Birds. It was a quick half hour blast
up the M40 for me. If you are ever up that way check out Turville it's Magic.
Have a good Manx.
All the best Bill.

BlackLightning998

VOC Member
Hi Bill, glad you liked it - a few more being posted shortly

Hello Stuart,
What a super photo, You have made me homesick.!!
Three years ago I moved from Ruislip, I spent many happy hours on Ibstone Common watching Red Kites = Birds. It was a quick half hour blast
up the M40 for me. If you are ever up that way check out Turville it's Magic.
Have a good Manx.
All the best Bill.

Hi Bill,

Glad you liked it - I rode through Ibstone, Christmas Common and out to Crendon yesterday, and then again today - more photo's being posted shortly of my 210 miles ride to Bill Little's and back via Stow on the Wold, Burford, Lechlade, Swindon, Abingdon and home just for fun.

Cheers

Stuart

Vic Youel

Non-VOC Member
Twin Clutch

The major contribution to solving my clutch drag problems seemed to be associated with the selection of cups and springs for the pilot clutch.

Over the years I have accumulated at least 3 sets of spare cups and springs. Cup depths vary considerably whilst some do not fit the pilot clutch plate without some delicate machining.

Springs come in different levels of quality and by testing them in a vice you can determine the ones most likely to become coil bound as they bulge out sideways under compression. They also have widely differing uncompressed lengths and are occasionally wound in the counter clockwise direction.

Ian Savage at VOCS is very aware of these parts problems and they are no doubt on his "to do" list for the longer term.

It can be very time consuming to assemble and disassemble the almost infinite permutations so the Old Windsor clutch clinic has conceived a lathe mounted jig to ease selection and balancing. Combined with his very simple centering collar for the push rod even lifting of the pilot plates to minimise drag is ensured.

Some of us are thinking of forming a separate subsection of original twin clutch users.....there are not many of us around!

Vic