"O" Ring chain....

Bazlerker

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Is there anyone here in North America that can tell me what make & model O ring chain will fit in behind G50 without fouling it?....or- to spare me a day measuring chain widths with my failing eyesight, which one fits??

tim welsh

Non-VOC Member
Bob, have a look at my thread "O ring chain kit". I think 520(20.4mm pin width, std 5/8*3/8 is 19.4mm pin width)) is the maximum pin width you can fit without too much scraping, which needs the 1/4" width sprockets. The closest metric chain on roller width to the 5/8*3/8 is 530 which has approx 4mm wider pins depending on make, so seems too wide. Hope this helps, Ive decided on the 520 and sprockets from VOC Spares, who do a full kit.
Tim

Bazlerker

Non-VOC Member
Replaced the chain..same problem..methinks a little gentle "relieving" of the castings is in order.. The chain rotates just fine until I tighten down the sprocket nut..

Ducdude

VOC Member
Is there anyone here in North America that can tell me what make & model O ring chain will fit in behind G50 without fouling it?....or- to spare me a day measuring chain widths with my failing eyesight, which one fits??

Easy to do... I just put a 520 oring chain on my Shadow. It is a DID ERV 3 520 X 120 LINK X-RING GOLD MOTORCYCLE CHAIN http://kurveygirl.com/shop/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=21&products_id=611 it fit just fine with out a single clearence issue...

You will need new sprockits but you should always get new sprokets when you do the chain. The Club Spair parts had the 520 sprokets a few months ago..

Cheers,
Eric

vince998

VOC Member
I´m on my third set of sprockets on my FJ1200. The chain is lubed with a CLS (google it) chain oiler and chainsaw oil and is still in the first 3rd of it´s life- (530 X ring). I was brought up to change chain and sprockets as a set, but in this case, 20 quid for sprockets against 160 quid for the full set is an easy choice. The chain oiler has already paid for itself'!!!

vince998

VOC Member
Shim the sprocket out Bob. I had similar problems with a 520 from DID. Unfortunately, i only noticed afer a 500 mile round trip to assen that the chain was silver :) (the chain relieved the cases for me). Turns out that the shoulder on the bearing side of the sprocket is a bit shorter than on my old sprocket. Funnily enough, nothing untoward was noticed before setting off?
Replaced the chain..same problem..methinks a little gentle "relieving" of the castings is in order.. The chain rotates just fine until I tighten down the sprocket nut..

Last edited: