Numbers on the crankcase

Ady00

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi
I have the letters and numbers HM6771 stamped on my twin's crankcase below the engine number does anybody know what these could possably be about.

Thanks......Ady

ET43

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I expect that the engine was rebuilt by Hillgate Motors who used to be run by Martin Peake in Stockport, Cheshire. He stamped my twin engine too. Hopefully your numbers are the same as the original numbers. ET43

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Boy, that would annoy me, to have a repair shop stamp my crankcases like that. Did they tell you before hand they would do that?

Albervin

VOC Member
A bit like a watchmaker leaving his mark inside a case after a repair. It meant they stood by their work; something that is rare these days. I love the marks scratched inside the case of my 130 year old fob watch, it adds history and patina. I doubt that I can claim on warranty though.. It still keeps excellent time when I remember to wind it up.

ET43

Non-VOC Member
Hi Steve D, My Shadow was built up from parts by Hillgate when I worked in Bermuda, and only saw the component parts on a shelf when I was home on leave. What I actually got I realised later was probably not what I saw, but the machine came with a new registration number, for 1973!!!. It had a Shadow engine and a Rapide chassis. I think that this is why their numbers were stamped on to the crank case. But having spent four years on an island with a 20mph speed limit, I was not too worried. Cheers, ET43

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
Does anyone know if the shortlived 'Harper Engines' rebuilds were re-numbered? I met a bloke outside the Bisley Shooting Club in North Harrow. He had just bought a 'new' one, a C Twin, and said it did not handle. He was surprised when I pointed out that the rear hydraulic damper was missing.

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
The marks inside a watch case are cool, out of sight, plus nearly invisible to the naked eye. And stamps inside a crankcase would be fine, too, whether easily visible or not. But altering the outside is a whole different ball game IMO.