Number Plate

Russell Icke

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi i'm wondering if anyone has any advice on what number plate to put on my vincent or is there anything i need to consider?. The bike is a black shadow 1949 model c i believe it's called the transitional model and is pretty original and unrestored. It's unregistered as it was imported from America back into the uk, It has the plate for attaching plate. I believe number plates were hand painted at some point.
Any advice would be most welcome

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Basically if it's unregistered and you intend to leave it as such then the plate should be blank.
If you register the bike for road use with your local authorities then you should fit whatever they issue otherwise you will not be able to use the bike legally.

Russell Icke

VOC Member
Basically if it's unregistered and you intend to leave it as such then the plate should be blank.
If you register the bike for road use with your local authorities then you should fit whatever they issue otherwise you will not be able to use the bike legally.
Thank's, definitely registering and was just wondering if any suggestions on where to get the plate made or is it just a standard black and silver?

vibrac

VOC Member
I must admit to stick on white numbers and lacquer thats what we used to do in the 60's and it saves all that crap with log books and red tape, the too clever for their own good UK law makers never thought of people buying individual numbers so that pleases me no end. Nowadays they come ready spaced on the backing.
Ah and it saves weight ;)

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
In the UK you can use white stick on numbers / letter on a black background or get a pressed aluminum plate to bolt on made up to your registration. Some dealerships in the UK in the 1940's & 50's used to use a local signwriter to paint the white registrstion characters direct to the bike, so thats another option if you can find somebody capable of that.

If you are registering /using the bike in USA then you will have to follow the particular state rules that it is registered in.

Russell Icke

VOC Member
In the UK you can use white stick on numbers / letter on a black background or get a pressed aluminum plate to bolt on made up to your registration. Some delaerships in the UK in the 1940's & 50's used to use a local signwriter to paint the white registrstion characters direct to the bike, so thats another option if you can find somebody capable of that.

If you are registering /using the bike in USA then you will have to follow the particular state rules that it is registered in.
Thanks's for the link it's exactly what i was after

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
I think you can circumvent all that number plate bureaucracy in the UK by purchasing them from various businesses that advertise for number plate business, they used to get round the problem by selling them as "for display purposes only" I far prefer the look of pressed aluminium, polished silver on a black background as opposed to painted white characters on black.

Russell Icke

VOC Member
Finally got my U.K. registration for the Vincent and need to drill new holes for it. Really don’t want to drill through the old plate holder. Any thoughts on fixing?