Number of surviving Vincents

Gary Gittleson

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Are there any estimates around as to the number of Vincents still known to exist? If so, are there breakdowns by series, model, country of current residence etc? Just curious.

vibrac

VOC Member
Forty percent survival and a nigh over 11,000 produced are the figures I used

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I tried to work it out a couple of years ago and based my figures on the engine and ignored the frame as we all refer to our bikes via engine type. These figures are approx and based on what has crossed the VOC since 1990 when the bike records really started to be recorded electronically. Its higher than what I was anticipating and i'm not fully sure I calculated it correctly but it took several full days to work out going through the database so I'm not tempted to try it again.

Meteor series B: 55%
Comet series C&D: 51%
Rapide series B&C: 65%
Rapide series D: 82%
Shadow series B&C: 70%
Shadow series D: 56%
Prince series D: 74%
Knight series D: 58%

Then of course we have the Black Lightning and Grey Flash which we as a club are very lucky as the survival rate on those is at least 150% and increasing.:D

Simon

vibrac

VOC Member
Then of course we have the Black Lightning and Grey Flash which we as a club are very lucky as the survival rate on those is at least 150% and increasing.:D

Simon

I have one of those! (A bit like J Surtees built his Bitsa) a pile of old Comet bits, a load of parts butchered in the sixties a few genuine Flash parts, an Allbion lost under a bench, a copy of Obscure Components from MPH a lot of workshop time and Bingo! ....

Gary Gittleson

VOC Member
vin998's figures are impressive and obviously took a ton of work. I'm sure the percentages of Triumphs is a lot lower.

So although there's a wide international dispersal of these bikes, I'd imagine the majority are in the UK. I do wonder how the figures break down by country or at least by continent.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
So although there's a wide international dispersal of these bikes, I'd imagine the majority are in the UK. I do wonder how the figures break down by country or at least by continent.
I believe looking at membership location in the VOC it is approx 60% UK based so that may hint as to how many of what has survived is in U.K. but that is just an approximation and I don't know about membership in other countries. To work it out via countries would take a lot of time assuming it's even possible and the fact that not all owners tell the VOC what they own would invalidate those figures.

So unfortunately you will have to keep wondering........

Simon

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Plus another "D" ish Comet.
Simon, Does it need a set of Flywheels and be able to Run, To get a Number Plate.
Cheers Bill.
Unfortunately Bill the bike needs to be finished to get a registration. If you have no flywheels then would an electric motor fit inside the crankcases and so have the first electric Vincent. The was a big discussion on the forum about motor / generators.:p