Number of Links in chain?

stumpy lord

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
gearbox sprockets

Have you checked the state of your gear box sprocket, most sprocket supplied in the past have been on the soft side, and rapidly show signs of wear[ teeth bending over].
It would seem to be a shame to go to all the expense of changing the chain and rear sprocket, to put them on a worn gearbox sprocket. I beleave the sprocket now suplied by the club spares company are a lot better. Failing that one of the club members in the bristo area can ree tooth your old sprocket with a harder steel.
cheers stumpy lord

But there again to go to o ring chain you have to change the gear box sprocket for a thinner one any way.

Last edited:

Bazlerker

Non-VOC Member
Funny you should mention the front sprocket...I have not inspected it, it has always been my practice to replace both sprockets when I replace the chain..I have a good friend who is going to turn the teeth off my front sprocket and then shrink on a new set..he then puts a few welds on the seam for insurance..The new teeth are of harder material than current stock elsewhere.. I have ordered a new 46t rear from Russell Kemp..A new "X" ring chain will be picked up this morning from my local Ducati dealer...

tatty500

Non-VOC Member
Collingbob,
Don't forget to check that the recess in the sprocket that fits on the drum does not have a radiused inside corner. Original sprokets were undercut to accept a sharp edge on the drum.
Many new sprockets have this radius.....then we must either clean out the sprocket's inside corner or shamfer the drum's mating face at its ourside edge.
Tatty