NSU Fox Clutch Adjuster

J

Josh Smith

As some of you may know, I own a four-stroke Vincent Fox, which I've been busy working on, trying to get it ready for the North Kent Section's first meet of the year. Having passed my A1 motorcycle test at the end of last year, it'll be the first Vincent event I'll be able to attend on an actual Vincent, as opposed to arriving on the back of my Dad's bike, or on my Yamaha.

The clutch has been an absolute nightmare, but I think we're there now, plus we've had a special heavy-duty cable made.

However, the slotted adjuster I have is very slightly too short as shown below:

IMG_3827.jpg

Unfortunately, the only longer one I could get hold of is off a Triumph, and it doesn't have the slot…

63940523575__6FB41EC2-D8B9-4205-9828-F190755F7E49.jpg

Is there anyone out there in UK-Vincent land who is able to mill a small slot through my new adjuster?

Josh

b'knighted

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi Josh,
can you, as an alternative, use an abutment similar to those used on the twistgrip to effectively increase the outer cable length? This could be done at either end of the clutch cable.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I would have thought you could do it with a hacksaw Josh,
Sometimes you could put 2 blades in the hacksaw to make the slot wider,
Or maybe you could use the old one with a something like what goes between the throttle and the cable,
Only clutch size ?.

Colin

VOC Member
Hi Josh
Well done for getting this far with the Fox. Do try fixing it yourself, for one thing it will give you satisfaction for having done it, secondly it is good practice for all the tweaks, fixes etc you will inevitably have to do (often on the side of the road) to keep an old bike going.
Put two hacksaw blades side by side (you may need a tweak to get two in a frame) put the adjuster, carefully in a padded vice, not too tight and carefully saw along the length. Believe me you can do it, but if anything does go wrong you can get another Triumph adjuster.
Go for it mate.

Colin

VOC Member
PS Hope to see you and the Smith clan, you on the Fox, at the (adjusted) April Fools Meet on "D" Day
How appropriate, the biggest rescue mission, of all time

J

Josh Smith

PS Hope to see you and the Smith clan, you on the Fox, at the (adjusted) April Fools Meet on "D" Day
How appropriate, the biggest rescue mission, of all time
Thanks Colin, should be there all being well.

I’ll head into the workshop in a bit and give it a go. I need to have a look at the carb too as when I tried to take the bike out last night I didn’t get very far! It seemed like a fuel starvation problem.

Josh

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
Check the breather hole in the cap before messing with the carb. If you are stuck with the adjuster, you know where I am, bring it, do it while you wait.