now whats that for?

b'knighted

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Thanks for that, When, in another thread, we were discussing how to mount the timing disc I commented that I use a lump of coat hamnger wire wound round footrest/ gearlever as a pointer. It was never satisfactory. This is so much better - I'll have to make one.

Cheers,

ET43

Non-VOC Member
My own version of this tool is a flat alloy blade around one inch wide, fastened under the acorn nut at the top of the timing chest. it is cranked so that it hangs vertical and having a fine tapering point which points to the outside of the degree wheel so that that can be accurately stopped wherever required to the nearest half degree. Cheers, ET43

vibrac

VOC Member
I like it because it will pivot to exactly line up with the center of the disc rotation (which on a piece of 1/4 rod is never exactly concentric) but stays there.
and the spoke nipple clamps securely where the pipe olive is held in the tap nut.
the moral of the story?
don't throw anything away.

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
I use a bit of copper wire under the acorn nut. I do however file it to a sharp edge...

I've now seen that what I took for a pipe is a spoke. Doh... But am I missing something here? Does it mount to the tap?

(Apropos Benghazi stoves: Jerry-cans are so called because we copied them from the Germans. However Whitehall Warriors discovered this, thought it would be bad for moral if we were seen to pinch ideas from "the enemy", and claimed that it was our invention, and that Jeri-cans were "Journey Extension Refill (something beginning with I, possibly "idiotic")-cans. Tommy continued to spell it with two "r"'s and a "y".
My own version of this tool is a flat alloy blade around one inch wide, fastened under the acorn nut at the top of the timing chest. it is cranked so that it hangs vertical and having a fine tapering point which points to the outside of the degree wheel so that that can be accurately stopped wherever required to the nearest half degree. Cheers, ET43

vibrac

VOC Member
the spoke nipple fits in the pipe recess and is held by the standard nut

Acorn pointers pre suppose the timing cover is in place when timing I time with the cover off since I can do the valve timing as well using this device

ET43

Non-VOC Member
As Jethro says, what happened was, that if the cover was off, then another flat alloy blade was used, being fixed in the top most cover screw hole, but decending to the same place. It really is amazing how many different tools can be used to do the same job and achieve the same results. Keep it up chaps. ET43

John Cone

VOC Member
"It really is amazing how many different tools can be used to do the same job and achieve the same results"

Thats what the girl next door once told me!

ET43

Non-VOC Member
There's no answer to that, well, one that I could repeat here that is, but I like it. ET43

len.c

Non-VOC Member
I have had a bit of a rethink on this very puzzling article,after studying the parts list I am really sure it is the little known coolant raiator drain tap on the Velocette Valiant,sorry Ossie .Len.c