E: Engine Not another breather thread!

Martyn Goodwin

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Paul Ennis tried running the timed breather pipe into the exhaust. He removed it fairly quickly and went back to std as he said the oil consumption shot up. Could the exhaust cause some sort of possible suction effect on the breather pipe?
But it would stop the muffler rusting out - good thing :D

Dave61

Non-VOC Member
I thought I'd read about a modification to the Chain Oiler where they suggested tapping the block in the filler neck for a grub screw to block it off, then attaching the breather pipe to where the outlet is & using the Oil Tank as the catch tank.
I may have got completely the wrong end of the stick but wonder if this is feasible.
Cheers
Dave

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I thought I'd read about a modification to the Chain Oiler where they suggested tapping the block in the filler neck for a grub screw to block it off, then attaching the breather pipe to where the outlet is & using the Oil Tank as the catch tank.
I may have got completely the wrong end of the stick but wonder if this is feasible.
Cheers
Dave
Velocette used exactly that system in the 1960's. The engine breather pipe fed into the "froth tower" area of the oil tank, seperated the oil and the gasses then continued via another pipe to the rear wheel. Problem on a Vincent is you would just pressurise the oil tank unless you either added a another pipe to allow the tank to breath, or opened up the breather hole in the oil tank cap to something around the size of the breather pipe feeding the tank.

Dave61

Non-VOC Member
Velocette used exactly that system in the 1960's. The engine breather pipe fed into the "froth tower" area of the oil tank, seperated the oil and the gasses then continued via another pipe to the rear wheel. Problem on a Vincent is you would just pressurise the oil tank unless you either added a another pipe to allow the tank to breath, or opened up the breather hole in the oil tank cap to something around the size of the breather pipe feeding the tank.

Well Simon, if nothing else that reassures me I'm not losing the plot completely but sounds like it would just be creating more problems.
Think I'll try & come up with a small catch tank.
Cheers
Dave

stu spalding

VOC Member
Hi Dave, I came up with that idea about 15 years ago but it wasn't so much about a breather as an oil tank vent via the chain oiler to a "D" breather cap on the rear inlet valve spring. The hole in the oil tank filler cap was blocked off. Result --- no more oil tank overflows all over the engine, legs etc. Cheers, Stu.

Dave61

Non-VOC Member
Hi Dave, I came up with that idea about 15 years ago but it wasn't so much about a breather as an oil tank vent via the chain oiler to a "D" breather cap on the rear inlet valve spring. The hole in the oil tank filler cap was blocked off. Result --- no more oil tank overflows all over the engine, legs etc. Cheers, Stu.

Hi Stu,
I had a nagging doubt I'd got the wrong end of the stick, thanks for explaining it, makes sense now I think about it.
Cheers
Dave

vibrac

VOC Member
Well Simon, if nothing else that reassures me I'm not losing the plot completely but sounds like it would just be creating more problems.
Think I'll try & come up with a small catch tank.
Cheers
Dave
You cant beat one of those silver alloy water bottles from a store that caters for the waking maffia, I go to that "go Outdoors" chain that has a list on a big board outside for every activity outdoors.... except motorcycling!
The bottle has a plastic screw cap with a solid ring on top I cut off the ring and turn the cap flat then drill a hole in the top and a ring of small holes round the shoulder, 500cc is the ACU capacity

Mike 40M

VOC Member
I contemplating using such an alloy bottle as catch tank on a racer. Eventually went for a Guiness beer can instead. Lighter, cheaper and readily available. My son uses a Monster can on his modern racer.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
No need for a catch tank, Unless you do racing. Cheers Bill.

Last edited by a moderator: