SP: Spring Boxes (Rear) NOS spring boxes?

Cyborg

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I have been sorting though bins getting things ready for plating and dug out a pair of spring boxes. Unsure about their history other than they would have been acquired by my brother in the 80’s. I’ve probably moved them from the bin a thousand times looking for something else. Today, I decided to clean them up, disassemble them and get the inners ready for plating. They were pretty grubby, but surprisingly turned out quite nicely with just a bath in the solvent tank. No marks in what appears to be the original cad that suggests they were never moving up and down at any time. Paint looks as though it could be polished up to as new. There is an accumulation of paint at the open end that suggest they may have been dipped, although there is very little paint inside. The springs were heavily greased with something that looks like it could pass for original. Anyway... either way a pleasant surprise.

Anyone have any suggestions for cleaning up the cad plating a bit? Thinking of some sort of chemical dip that will clean them up a bit without altering the surface to any great degree.
I know I can use an abrasive of some sort, but prefer not to.

Last edited:

Cyborg

VOC Member
I just want to clean them up, preferably without abrading the surface. I know that may sound odd, but I have other NOS cad plated pieces that I want to clean up and some sort of quick dip in a chemical would be easier and safer.
I have a plating setup on the way, but given these appear to be NOS, I would rather conserve the finish.

Cyborg

VOC Member
Parts cleaner and a stiff brush?
They have already gone though the parts washer ( solvent tank), followed by soap and water and a plastic bristle brush. As daffy as it may sound, I would prefer not to go at them with any sort of steel or brass brush. As for the other stuff, it would take way too long..... way too many small bits. Some of the other (unrelated) parts are definitely NOS and relatively rare even in used condition. I would like to just clean them up so they are “ as they left the factory”.

craig

VOC Member
Maybe a vinegar solution? or CLR a chemical cleaner? or Limeaway another cleaner?
I remember cleaning brass soaking in a Hydrogen Peroxide and Alcohol solution.
Maybe it was vinegar and alcohol.
maybe you soak in vinegar and drank the alcohol.
hard to remember.

Last edited:

Cyborg

VOC Member
Thanks Craig. I’ll look into the CLR, although their TV commercials seem to claim results that differ from what I can achieve. That’s a plumbing related issue though.
Have to be careful using alcohol. I discovered an IPA that I quite like and I don’t normally drink much beer. Local brewery and they deliver, so a bit of a slippery slope. It’s called featherlight..... presumably meant as an IPA for pussies.