Norvins

Chris Launders

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Little Honda, it has a Norton box so doesn't need a long kickstart, with the touring bars (Suzuki Bandit) and a big belly I'm positioned well back so there's less weight on the front, I'm using progressive springs and 20w/50w oil in the forks, they work really well. The oil tank is bigger than it looks from this side, it's well forward behind the carb and I've never had it get too hot., The primary's an open belt with Commando clutch and a crank mounted Lucas 3 phase alternator.
Chris Launders bikes 077.jpg

It has changed in minor ways since this was taken, guard on the top run of the belt, Mikuni's, passenger footrest and plate gone and another rear chainguard.

Last edited:

Little Honda

Non-VOC Member
Little Honda, it has a Norton box so doesn't need a long kickstart, with the touring bars (Suzuki Bandit) and a big belly I'm positioned well back so there's less weight on the front, I'm using progressive springs and 20w/50w oil in the forks, they work really well. The oil tank is bigger than it looks from this side, it's well forward behind the carb and I've never had it get too hot., The primary's an open belt with Commando clutch and a crank mounted Lucas 3 phase alternator.View attachment 41702

It has changed in minor ways since this was taken, guard on the top run of the belt, Mikuni's, passenger footrest and plate gone and another rear chainguard.
Looks good and good-working. When I see the open primary, I am immediatly remembered on my teenage years long ago, riding a fan-cooled 50cc Kreidler moped to a disco, some 15mls away. ´T was
cold, and I had dressed to impress the ladies, not to say, didn´t have money for motorcyclist´s leathers.
At the disco, my right foot felt like a piece of ice, as the fan of the cylinder cooling had eaten the shoe
lace of my new and polished low shoe, so effectivly blocking my dancing abilities!
Back to subject: No main stand: Do you always start her with yr left foot on the ground? At 70+ (some
of us r) this will become a problem.
Enjoy!

Little Honda

Non-VOC Member
For hubs/brakes speak to Howard at Disco volante moto.
good advice, Normski. On the spot, I found fllg. at ebay: 273779221975, 283431152229, 132409164769,
these r most scnd hand parts. Look for FALCONE, which is cheaper. Sometimes, there are new compl. units.
Otherwise u hv to collect. Also try other Falcone parts seller´s adresses by asking them via ebay.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
Yes I do start it astride but I'm well behind you, I'm only 67, the motor only has 7:1s in it and combined with the MK2 cams and the Norton box and primary gearing turns over easily, slowly but easily that is, it usually takes 3 or 4 kicks to start, I think that's more to do with getting enough fuel in with the Mikuni's as it has coil ignition. You will notice there's a toe guard on the brake lever and the Commando clutch doesn't have any protruding sharp bits, also I wear safety boots for riding.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
No, I tend not to ride it off road, and with being on the left anything thrown up by traffic is on the other side.
I've had a Triumph for 30 years with an open belt drive that's probably 1/2 as high off the ground and that's not had anything in it either in tens of thousands of miles, the only times I've actually known someone have that problem was with rear belts, notably Harleys where of course your own wheel is chucking debris about along side the belt.

vibrac

VOC Member
On my Egli Comet the belt is tucked away behind a modified standard cover. Front air scoop with gauze exit at rear of clutch
(good example of reusing scrap the ESA had eaten away the dome on this cover I found on the scrap heap)
1619119246852.png

Little Honda

Non-VOC Member
Yes I do start it astride but I'm well behind you, I'm only 67, the motor only has 7:1s in it and combined with the MK2 cams and the Norton box and primary gearing turns over easily, slowly but easily that is, it usually takes 3 or 4 kicks to start, I think that's more to do with getting enough fuel in with the Mikuni's as it has coil ignition. You will notice there's a toe guard on the brake lever and the Commando clutch doesn't have any protruding sharp bits, also I wear safety boots for riding.
67 what? years or kgs?

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
For starting I am going to try what T.T. says, Prime the cylinders before starting,
Turn it over a few times on the vale lifter,
I have been doing it with the Comet, No Valve lifter, So Put it in gear and Push and pull back a few times,
With the Comet it makes first kick instead of 3 ish from cold with Amal Mk2, ie No Tickler !.
The Comet has an old Mag', I worry it might fire and take OFF :D .

The Comet is not really a problem, But the Old L/ning is getting too much for me.