Norvins

Phil H

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
In post #46 davidd showed John Surtees with a Norvin. I have a couple of questions. First, the Vincent name on the timing chest is in script. Any thoughts on this? Second, can this photo be definitively placed as 1954 or 5? This is in aid of dating the early existence of the Lyta type short-circuit tank.

Regarding the Norvin for sale in Austria - in my experience high level pipes can get mighty warm.

Last edited:

Len Matthews

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
In post #46 davidd showed John Surtees with a Norvin. I have a couple of questions. First, the Vincent name on the timing chest is in script. Any thoughts on this? Second, can this photo be definitively placed as 1954 or 5? This is in aid of dating the early existence of the Lyta type short-circuit tank.

Regarding the Norvin for sale in Austria - in my experience high level pipes can get mighty warm.
The timing chest logo looks like the Firefly tank transfer.I recall seeing a photo of Ted Davis with a similar one on the front of his helmet.

Little Honda

Non-VOC Member
I sent a BMW logbook to the DVLA , together with another change on another bike , they made the change on the other bike in about 6 weeks but NOTHING for the BMW. I contacted them and they said they never received it. Although I pointed out the BMW book was sent in the same envelope as the matter they had dealt with they continued to assert they had never received the BMW logbook, and I should send them £20 for them to issue a new BMW logbook. I told them I would see them in hell before I paid for something they had lost, and that I would contact my MP the press and anyone else I could think of. There was quite a lot more agro for a while, and then as I was cycling through Reading on holiday (Don't ask why we were holidaying in Reading!) my mobile rang, and when I answered it a girl enquired what colour I would like on my replacement logbook (No apology no admission they had the logbook all along etc) I told them the THREE colours of the bike only to be told they will only put TWO colours on the log. I said put whatever you like, and they sent me my ORIGINAL log book back a few weeks later.
Like my local council, the HM Revenue and Customs, and one or two other organisations, who have A LEGAL RIGHT to extract money from you, and who HAVE NO COMPETITION. they can, be, and are totally inefficient. but what the heck it keeps someone in employment:(,
Colin, u r not alone: During corona times, u hv to ask for a visiting date IN THE INTERNET over here in Germany. I called instead, got a date on the phone 3 weeks later and was there in time. But, their monitor did not show my date, so I adressed someone, working there and was adviced: " Go in without, they do not
bite." So I did. The office with 6 employees in front of their monitors, no other customer in there, me adressing the first to the right. Had all my papers, being customer there since 40years, by now, the
person behind the screen refused to deal with me, because I had no date! I had nothing written, no proof
of my phone call - went home, lost battle, new attack in the net, new date, new try 2 weeks later, same
scenario, success!
Don´t worry, after u hv made them function, u don´t see them again!
Don´t argue with idiots!

Chris Launders

VOC Member
Looks like I never uploaded a picture of mine, still the same but going to fit a Vincent straight absorption silencer this spring in an attempt to make it a little quieter, the "Goldie" on it is a bit too anti-social.

1618761979313.png

Little Honda

Non-VOC Member
Looks like I never uploaded a picture of mine, still the same but going to fit a Vincent straight absorption silencer this spring in an attempt to make it a little quieter, the "Goldie" on it is a bit too anti-social.

View attachment 41670
Chris, this one looks like a nice bike to ride! Contrary to many others, who still use the standard kickstart,
which they fit at half-way of its travel, to maintain knee-grip to the tank, or maintain full travel and loose
knee-grip. Moreover, you have a touring handlebar fitted, which delivers a much better wheight distribution and rider´s comfort compared to clip-ons. The oil tank looks a bit small to me, although I know, that I experienced repeatedly on mine a very low oil-level in the tank after some riding without
checking, but never had problems by low contents. On mine, I am using BMW K100- footrests, which very
effectively keep vibrations off yr feet. A much better rear brake is a Grimeca 200mm dia (also 220mm avlbl.), as used on several Italian bikes, like DUCATI GT750 bevel. It is still availbl. new and lighter than the
Norton one plus including a rubber shock absorber, so softening drive forces until yr primary chain.
From the compression of yr front forks I guess, that you are still using the standard springs, which are
too soft for the bike´s weight. (a Manx weighs 60kgs less!). If you are riding, the chrome rings will dissapear completely in the upper cover tubes, so leaving only a very small rest of fork travel.
This, plus the steepening of fork angle by compression delivers an impression of front-heavyness, which
feels lorry-like, especially when braking into a bend. You will be much more happy by using the distance
tubing on top of each spring on one side only and add a new one on the other side. Much better comfort
and quicker reaction to direction changes.
No doubt a real improvement to the standard Vincent motorcycle, if nicely assembled!

Normski

Non-VOC Member
A much better rear brake is a Grimeca 200mm dia (also 220mm avlbl.), as used on several Italian bikes, like DUCATI GT750 bevel. It is still availbl. new and lighter than the
Norton one plus including a rubber shock absorber, so softening drive forces until yr primary chain.
Michael I’ve been unable to find one of these hubs, I have one fitted to my Egli which I borrowed from a Laverda - I’d like to buy a new one if you can tell me where to look please?
I’ve fitted a modified Honda 750 kickstart to the Egli using Ernst’s splined shaft which you told me about and it works well.