Norvincentre

steve cassel

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Can anyone tell me anything about John Wyatt and Geoff Stokes of the Norvincentre? I sent them a lot of money last November, and am still waiting for my parts... Just wondering what experiences people have had with them and what I should expect. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated, and you can respond by private message if appropriate. Thanks for any input. Steve.

Chrish

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Steve,

I ordered and paid for a set of crankcases through them, waited about a year for them to arrive, many phone calls were made, many lies told to me. Geoff Stokes does not answer his mobile phone, they also ignore emails. I can't see how they can stay in business, I would not recommend them. I found the only way to get them to respond was to phone every day until they remitted the goods. I hope you have good luck.

Chris

steve cassel

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Crankcases

Chris, Thanks for the response. Do you like the Crankcases? Good Quality? I've ordered a complete motor in parts.

I like John and enjoy talking to him. I'm glad people like John do the things they do and make these old parts available. Still, the delay is unnerving. The original estimate was that I should have my motor by Christmas.

I talked to John this morning and he said he would personally ship my parts today. I would like nothing better than to report back on this forum that all is done, but I have been hearing that my parts are 'ready to ship' for the last two months. I'm hoping this will all be worth the wait???

-------Steve.

BlackLightning998

VOC Member
Help me understand...

Hi Steve,

Help me understand why you chose them, when people like Ian Savage and the VOCSC and Russ Kemp at VinParts could more than likely supply what you were looking for, are reputable, well known and trustworthy individuals and organisations - was it a price driven decision?

I guess if so, then there's always a price to pay - in my business we say "cost, time, quality -choose any two you like" - so I guess if it was a price driven decision then having to wait may well be the downside, that will hopefully mean you still get good quality. I'll have my fingers crossed for you that you do get them in the end and they are what you have been waiting for.

I've never heard anyone deal with them, I've seen them advertise a couple of times though - anyone else got any experience with them?

Regards

Stuart

Chris, Thanks for the response. Do you like the Crankcases? Good Quality? I've ordered a complete motor in parts.

I like John and enjoy talking to him. I'm glad people like John do the things they do and make these old parts available. Still, the delay is unnerving. The original estimate was that I should have my motor by Christmas.

I talked to John this morning and he said he would personally ship my parts today. I would like nothing better than to report back on this forum that all is done, but I have been hearing that my parts are 'ready to ship' for the last two months. I'm hoping this will all be worth the wait???

-------Steve.

steve cassel

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Choices

Stuart, Thanks for the response. Unaware of what choices were available to me, I posted my questions HERE on this forum. The suggestions I received included John Mossey Restorations (now Hailwood), and an Australian company that makes race motors. I searched every lead that was suggested, but the only one who said they could supply the motor was John at the Norvincentre. I did receive a response from Mike Perkins at Hailwood several months later saying that he could build my motor, but I had already committed to John at the Norvincentre by then. (I understand Hailwood uses Norvincentre cases and parts for their builds also).

I never new that VinParts or the others you mention could supply the complete motor... At the time, I was acting on the ONLY viable option presented to me. Live and Learn. I'm still hoping for the best. I'll certainly follow up on this topic as it resolves.

I do hope this thread may prove helpful to other people with similar questions. -------Steve.

BlackLightning998

VOC Member
Ahh - I think you wanted a built engine..

Hi Steve,

I'm a bit mixed up as you said that the guy was shipping your parts, but I think from your posting below that you are getting a fuly assembled motor/engine - my mistake.

I think I understand now, you have ordered a fully built engine as oppose to a set of parts to build your own. On that basis, if I understand you right, you can't get that from Russ or Ian. I think Patrick Godet in France might of been able to help you, and there is a chap who did advertise in the back of MPH to build new Shadows who may have been able to assist as well.

Maughans in the UK might have helped too - although they have quite an order book I understand. I've seen some of their restored engines and the owners have almost all had positive things to say.

Colin Jenner at Conways does that sort of thing too I think. I've heard mostly positive things.

Simon Lindford I hear great things of in Scotland - not sure this is his bag, but again he would be worth a try if you ever do another one.

Isn't there someone in the US that could have helped you - I have heard the name Steve Hamel as an engine builder a lot.

On Australia, personally, from detailed, painful and personal experience I can certainly recommend who not to have it done by through bitter, expensive, re-build your engine twice type experience - ouch that was expensive but you don't live that far south so I think it unlikely that you'll get an Antipodean to do it for you wouldn't you, really........

As you say, live and learn, I'll have my fingers firmly crossed for you that you get the built up engine that you've paid for and that it is in good running shape.

Best of luck, they're great fun to ride.

Cheers

Stuart

Stuart, Thanks for the response. Unaware of what choices were available to me, I posted my questions HERE on this forum. The suggestions I received included John Mossey Restorations (now Hailwood), and an Australian company that makes race motors. I searched every lead that was suggested, but the only one who said they could supply the motor was John at the Norvincentre. I did receive a response from Mike Perkins at Hailwood several months later saying that he could build my motor, but I had already committed to John at the Norvincentre by then. (I understand Hailwood uses Norvincentre cases and parts for their builds also).

I never new that VinParts or the others you mention could supply the complete motor... At the time, I was acting on the ONLY viable option presented to me. Live and Learn. I'm still hoping for the best. I'll certainly follow up on this topic as it resolves.

I do hope this thread may prove helpful to other people with similar questions. -------Steve.

MartinRestorer

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
norvincenter

O dear Steve this may have been a big mistake.
To have payed in advance to John as he seems to have intentions above his abilities to actually supply. I bought cases and parts of John to build a
twin engine in 2004 after many months of promises he had my cases for collection. They were returned to John with parts I had sourced myself to be completed by his friend and vincent engineer. One year later I cannot get my parts or engine back as they are now in the hands of Colin Taylor
and have traveled to Italy. After much negociation and expence I had them brought back to me in UK with less parts that I had left with John.
Since then I have had most bearings changed with new engineering on most interferance fits and am still doing battle with his cases now. I will win, but its not the easy option.
Very good luck you will need it. PM for more information

steve cassel

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Motor in Parts

Stuart, Again... Thanks for the input.

Sorry for the confusion. I am buying a complete motor... but in parts. Not built. After forty years of building and restoring old bikes, I found the option of buying the motor in parts and building it myself an attractive alternative in terms of both cost and satisfaction.

I have talked to Steve Hamel here in the States. My conversations with him left me comfortable with the decision to build the motor myself. He's a great person to talk with, and encouraged me no small amount. It's great to meet enthusiasts who will take time out of their schedules to answer newby questions.

I expect that John and Geoff at the Norvincentre are enthusiasts too... Though I seem to be getting quite a mixed bag of opinions. Please do keep your fingers crossed for me. ------------Steve.

manxnortonman

VOC Member
Norvin Centre

I ordered a complete twin engine from John for my Norvin which was delivered on budget if a little late. I am more than pleased with the results as can be seen in Spirit of the sixties 3. The engine is very responsive starts and runs sweet as a nut as well as being very quick. John supplies engine cases,heads and covers to the trade world wide at a very reasonable prices but demand often outstrips supply. I know John gets very frustrated with the foundries and machine shops that fail to deliver on time and hence the delay in fulfilling orders.

Garry Laurence, a satisfied customer