Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
http://motofanatics.blogspot.com/2014/02/racing-shadow.html

Norvin.JPG

David

greg brillus

VOC Member
Nice looking bike, I would be interested to know how well those CMA 8 leader front brakes work........ I friend of mine has one, but I doubt he will ever use it. I would imagine that having the kick start crank down that low, would lose some efficiency at turning the engine. A lot of these Hybrid bikes look ugly in my opinion, but this one has been very well done.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
The 8LS must work brilliantly when set up right, but how often do you see sls brakes with the arm at > 90 degrees? Also, too bad the jacket is in the way to hide some details.

vibrac

VOC Member
It certainly is a static posed shot, and yes with that kickstart position and what looks like a Lucas mag lead it might remain that way....

bmetcalf

VOC Member
The beloved KVF maligned! Read the favourable report in the DC Section review in the new MPH!

greg brillus

VOC Member
Next time I catch up with my friend I will see what the brake weighs in at, but I think it is Magnesium. Others I've seen seem to use a short cable on either side to balance the pull to the pairs of levers, so I don't see how the one above does that when the levers are at different angles. Another friend with a Shadow who had the kick start lever low set as in above........ I found it a real pain to swing the engine over, as though the leverage was lost. Perhaps not a loss of leverage as much as "Follow through" the kickstart lever must go awfully close to hitting the ground too. I just clicked on the link above the photo that David has posted, plenty more photo's with good detail to see.

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
The brake arms look good to me, just a little bit of travel by the cable and the arms will be at 90 degrees for the max leverage. I'll bet it doesn't take much travel before the shoes are in contact with the drum.

greg brillus

VOC Member
The way that brake is set up, all the levers pull equally, but I don't think that is correct. Like I said, I think it is supposed to have a short balancing cable between the pairs of levers so that the upper and lower levers are separate from each other. I would say this was the pinnacle of drum brake design, and with good lining's could be quite dangerous on a bike, given they are really for racing. They are similar in size to the massive drum brakes used on Munch bikes from Germany. They are quite rare and also quite valuable.

davidd

VOC Member
I think this is the balancer that Greg is mentioning. the two sets of rods are joined by a cable and the front brake lever draws in the pulley equalizing the pull on each rod:

Brake Cable Balancer.JPG

He has the brake anchor, but no pulley.

David