norvin

Chris Launders

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi there.
I would suggest any wideline frame will do but personally wouldn't use a manx frame as they were made from thinner gauge higher tensile tube.As to mods it depends if you are using a complete or chopped motor,my own norvin uses a norton g/box and i've mounted the motor with the crankcase centreline on the frame centreline (it's offset in a vin frame) and have scolloped the l/h top tube for the front carb and the r/h front downtube fof the front exhaust.If you use a complete motor you will need to do some juggling in the primary case/frame gusset in the swinging arm area to get the engine in at all.

Peter. C

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
If you do go down the Wideline route with a twin engine I have a spare set of engine plates that patterns could be made from. Not an easy undertaking, the engine takes up all the room and leaves you looking for space for the rest of the bits.

metal bits

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
thanks peter.c
tempted to make a widline frame but one or two inches longer
need to find out size and type of tube
would be interested in copying your engine plates

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
Hi, I'm currently building one for myself. The frame is a custom made "manx-alike". It has been made 3inches longer in the bottom rails and 1.5inches wider at the swinging arm pivots(the gusset plates). the power unit fits like it was a vin-not like most that look like they are doing a wheelie! The down side is nothing else fits, oil tank, mudguards+ lots more have to be custom jobs to suit. I figure it will be worth the trouble at the end. short roadholders are the way to go at the front.

ogrilp400

Non-VOC Member
As the owner builder of two Norvins, I have seen the problems of putting a Vincent engine in a feather bed frame. The hand wringers often mention that a Vincent engine is too high in a Norton frame. Have a look around at the height of other bike engines, they are positively towering. When I said "taller" frame I probably should have said "deeper". A 1/2" longer, 1/2" wider and 1/2" deeper frame would make it all just that much easier.