Norvin

vince998

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Gooday gents,

Since i was a spotty 16 year old, and growing up on a diet of old bike meets & Ogri, i´ve always wanted a norvin.
Don´t ask me why, it´s a gut feeling.:confused:
My father was never a fan of such things, and his thought was 1 x norvin/egli = 1x lost vincent.
I think using my D shadows engine maybe 1 year on, 1 year off as a norvin and as a D wouldn´t cause him to turn in his grave.
The question is, is it possible to alter a wideline frame that will take an un-altered twin engine?
Obviously, anything i can unscrew and remove i will, but cutting RFM engine lugs or gearboxes off is out of the question.

What i´m looking for eventually is a complete rolling chassis or somebody that can alter an existing frame to suit.
Retention of down tubes is a must. (otherwise it looks all wrong.)

Any input appreciated.

John Jones

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
This Norvin has an uncut 48 Rapide engine in a Manx frame with a tiny 6mm notch filed from the rear frame lug.

The engine goes in very easily without scratching the frame and the front pipe misses the frame by 12mm.

IMG_2886.jpg

IMG_2887.jpg

John Jones

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
If you visit britbike.com, click on tutorial board and then photo posting tutorial it will give you all the info on how to post photos.

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
the answer to fitting problems is remarkably easy! go to a professional frame maker , give him the motor unit, sit back , wait a while, hey-presto, give him a carrier bag full of folding money, take home your new custom made chassis with power unit ready installed. that's the route i have taken. when i feel like it piccies will be on here. ps, i'm sure my saddle will not be at such a rakish angle as i don't wish to be on intimate terms with the fuel tank!

Last edited:

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
how did you upload thise pictures please?
Ernie, the trick is to host the picture somewhere else, then click the 'Insert Image' button to add it to your post. Of course, for those that don't have access to a photo hosting site, or their own website, you may not have the luxury.

nobby

VOC Member
Ernie, the trick is to host the picture somewhere else

or upload the picture(s) to one of the forum photo sections first and insert a hyperlink to these pictures... the hyperlink can be found at the bottom of the uploaded picture in 'photo details'

Albervin

VOC Member
Nice looking bike but access to the oil filter looks a bit limited. I have always thought a lot of Norvins look a bit high in the saddle but this one seems to have good proportions.

Peter. C

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
As John says a twin engine goes into a wideline frame with a small notch in the lug at the rear of chain case. If you get serious on the build I have a set of used engine plates, front and rear which could be polished back to their former glory or used as templates. The difficult bit is deciding where to put all the other bits once the engine has filled the frame. The oil tank is first problem followed by all the electrical bits needed to make it all work. Build it all first then take it apart to do the cosmetics'
Peter.C

vince998

VOC Member
This Norvin has an uncut 48 Rapide engine in a Manx frame with a tiny 6mm notch filed from the rear frame lug.

The engine goes in very easily without scratching the frame and the front pipe misses the frame by 12mm.

Thanks john,
Now thats a very good looking bike.
I take it the tank is half oil/half petrol, but where have you hidden the battery?

I´m quite good at finding places to hide stuff (i built up EV4 (or was it 6?) for a friend of mine, and hid the whole of his electrics including battery in the seat hump, and left the area around the rear carb completely uncluttered)

Is the swinging arm hung from the frame or from the engine (there´s probably Norvin owners around the globe going "DOH" but it´s not easy to see in these pictures.

How much would it cost to put a rolling chassis of similar (or same) quality together?

Thanks