Norvin

Norvin1000

Forum User
VOC Member
Hello Lindie

I'm not sure quite what you mean by "rest in pm form would be lovely, maybe even edit the remainder out?"

Could you kindly elucidate?

Phil

title: norvin
basic initial topic: ebay item

rest in pm form would be lovely. maybe even edit the remainder out?

bike looks good. not quite classic with the modern front brakes but the ability to stop on something that looks as fast standing still as that would be good. ties in with having indicators too i suppose. a crank mount alternator is mentioned with a belt primary but theres very little in the way of a photo . is this a simple thing to replicate?

looks ok for the starting bid.

Prosper Keating

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Prosper Keating;

(CLIP)

"May the road rise up to meet you, as we say in Ireland."

PK

Prosper,
It already did!:eek:
Ken Smith
http://www.vincentownersclub.co.uk/photos/showphoto.php/photo/3434

Oh Lord! Spectacular! I hope you flew over rather than into whatever you t-boned, man! Yup, the road has met us all in that fashion over the years but the Irish exhortation has more to do with the ground rising to meet our meet as we plod along, thereby making the plodding easier.

Regards,

PK

lindie

Non-VOC Member
with pleasure phil:
rather than have a ****slinging match in the public arena over political standpoints that have little in common with the initial post or title, perhaps best to confine them to a fresh whole new topic, or sidestep that complete and fly your colours in private message form. not aimed at you or any specifics, but why have all that out in view of the public eye? just pondering ways to make a duller but more serene pub i guess.

back to the bike, must be a ****** to see all that go up for sale. hope whatever circumstances have caused the sale are soon rectified.
glen

Prosper Keating

Non-VOC Member
I don't see any slanging match here. Concerns were raised about a charity donation stipulation on the eBerk sale in question and they were addressed. In the end, nobody seems to be angry. But yes, we should probably eschew politics and religion!

Not a bad entry bike for someone wanting to try the water before selling the family into slavery to get a real twin...

PK

Rapide

VOC Member
Why stop?
Get it all out on the open.
I for one am enjoying the banter.
Better that than have a sterile environment that is 'PC'.
Keep it coming....please!

( Im just off to speakers corner myself).

Bracker1

VOC Member
The Norvin parts bundle looked fair value at 13,000. My question is why are replica parts and cobbled together bitsa bikes made from these replica parts worth anything near a complete "factory" bike. It's true some are engineered and assembled with great detail, but a stock Honda sports bike runs, stops, and performs better at a fraction of the cost. If the intent is to ride a Vincent engined vehicle, than buy a Vincent, or original Vincent engined machine. Replicas ,however faithful to the original, never will be as good as the real thing. Anyone would take the original AC Cobra over the new engineered Cobra replicas. Motorcycles should be no different. That includes all the replica Crockers, Indians, etc . I'll make the exception for the Godet, I consider that a continuation of the Egli and just plain gorgeous. Safe riding, Dan

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
Norvin rep.

I'll try to explain why. if you can find an original vin. motor, you'll pay 4-5 grand, throw50% of it away cos it's shagged-out or just plain broke. Much better to buy new to start with, it is cnc machined, made of more consistent materials, will not break with big cams+big compression. Iam currenty building "ogri's" norvin, this is the route i am taking. When you see it then tell me i am wrong. Whilst we all need to preserve our history, try to trust the ones who are ensuring our future is also secure, We are , just like Mr Godet ,building things to be proud of. I'm also investing lots of my time+expertise+****-loads of my hard-earnt to prove the point. I also run a '51 rapide, its a great bike-its also the reason for the "new" one. Roy.

Last edited:

lindie

Non-VOC Member
My question is why are replica parts and cobbled together bitsa bikes made from these replica parts worth anything near a complete "factory" bike.

If the intent is to ride a Vincent engined vehicle, than buy a Vincent, or original Vincent engined machine. Replicas ,however faithful to the original, never will be as good as the real thing. Anyone would take the original AC Cobra over the new engineered Cobra replicas. Motorcycles should be no different.

besides inheriting one or posessing a large enough bank balance/shotgun, most will never own a factory twin that they can mercilessly thrash without fear of destroying their non cobbled pristine non bitsa. same and to a degree moreso with the cobra. the ac and vincent works stopped production of their swansong models circa 1967 and 1955. the consumers however didn't, and their resulting reproduction plus 50 years of hearing the status and legend of even just the two examples given lead the way to demand well and truly outstripping supply. the last time a prize fell out of my corn flakes packet it wasn't a 427 s/c. i'd love a caterham one day as the giggle of a road registered go kart with poke appeals to me, as much as the prospect of cosseting their perfect condition lotus super 7 appeals to the owner of the original, who'll not only not part with it for dear life, but would be horrifeid if someone waved enough folding under their nose then ripped out the drivetrain and anything that got in the way of a newer more powerful engine. the purists can sneer at repicas but woe betide anyone who now buys an original to strip down and build a special that may or may not retain the lug let alone the entire transmission. kind of a double standard don't you think?

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
specials

Having worked in the "MOTOR-GAME" since 1964 I can guarantee that the ac cobra 427 was a peice of junk! Please remove your rose tinted specs and return to reality for once in your miserable existence. The chassis could not/ would not handle what Carrol Shelby had intended, having worked+driven these "things" I feel Qualified to make these observations, go buy one, I guarantee the dream will not match the driving experience!(Pass the brown trousers)+ the insurance claim. I ,for one, do not wish to own a genuine "factory foul-up! I recon my new one will out perform yours any day. If you have the knowledge or wherewithall, put-up or shut-up-that's what the prophet said.

Last edited: