Norvin

Peter. C

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
There is a very interesting part built Norvin appeared on Ebay, although part built mainly with new parts the spec is very high with mostly the best parts available. A very interesting project and I should think the vendor has spent more than the starting price on it already. Item No 320336905811

Peter.C

indianken

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Peter,

I see that 10% of the payment will go to
"MAP < Medical Aid for Palestinians>"

I seem to remember that, here in the USA, "Medical Aid for Ireland" was
a euphemism for, "SINTEX for the BOYOS".

Bid with caution.

Ken Smith

Norvin1000

Forum User
VOC Member
Of course one should bid with caution.

However do please take a little time to research the past and current record of the work of British charity MAP before idly implying that this is an arms front. http://www.map-uk.org/about/;).

I chose to go with this charity as, like many of my countrymen, I was hurt and outraged that the BBC and Sky refused recently to air the Gaza charity appeal on TV on the dubious and ridiculous grounds that so airing the appeal would somehow compromise those organisations' credentials for "political impartiality".

Phil.

Prosper Keating

Non-VOC Member
Pubs used to display little signs saying No Politics No Religion, for very good reasons. Like any club, the VOC is a broad church and members are bound to have opposing views on various questions. The majority of discussions of the Israel-Palestine Question, especially on the internet, are usually doomed to degenerate into slanging matches between all kinds of people with various agendas, some of them rather unsavoury.

Comparisons between MAP and NORAID are invalid because MAP is a bona fide charity, strenuously vetted for obvious reasons by the UK authorities and other Western security agencies, and NORAID is a proven terrorist front that has long-operated with the tacit and occasionally open approval of successive US administrations with their eye on the Irish-American vote.

I would be interested in seeing any evidence to which Ken Smith might be privy that MAP has links to or facilitates Palestinian terrorism in any way. I await a PM from him with interest. Of course, ultra-radical Zionist types of the kind who seem to have hijacked Israel and who claim to speak for World Jewry might contend that the very act, for instance, of reducing Palestinian infant mortality is tantamount to aiding Palestinian terrorist groups because the infants is question are tomorrow's terrorists.

According to such individuals, anyone who does not wholly support the total suppression of the Palestinian people is an anti-semite or Jew-hater, Palestinians being semites. Jews who object to Zionist policies and philosophies bearing disturbing similarities to those of the Nazis are "self-hating Jews". In other words, these extremists are as intransigent as some of the more radical Islamic militants causing all sorts of trouble at the moment.

Discussions about these factions are as futile as discussions with them...which is why the Israel-Palestine Question is not about to be solved anytime soon. Apart from this, there will always be external forces seeking to perpetuate the strife as a means of destabilising the Middle East for oil-related reasons. Nobody with vested interests in oil wants Western-style democracy in the region, least of all the sundry feudal monarchs and dictators doing the oilmen's bidding. And that, my friends, is why Israel is feared and loathed by the local potentates and also why the last thing the local Arabs want is a Palestinian state run along Western democratic lines like Israel.

Contrary, you see, to the image promoted of Palestinians in general as a bunch of baleful suicide bombers-in-waiting, the Palestinians are the most educated group of Arabs per capita in the Arab world. It used to be the Lebanese, before decades of civil war and invasion wrecked the place, just as it was starting to resemble any other civilised Mediterranean country. You can't blame the people of Gaza for voting Hamas into power. It's the same kind of reaction that sees more and more Western Europeans voting for 'nationalist' parties in the face of increasingly oppressive European Union government.

Anyway, I don't come here for this kind of discussion and I'm sure most of you chaps don't either. Ken Smith is entitled to his opinions and I will defend his right to them to the last. However, I think he is entirely wrong about MAP. For a resumé of MAP's patrons and trustees, click here: http://www.map-uk.org/about/trustees_and_patrons/ I am unaware of the special information to which Ken Smith is privy but I nevertheless find it hard to believe that canny figures like Helena Kennedy and David Steel would involve themselves in any organisation with verifiable links to terrorism.

So, let's leave this sort of topic outside because it usually acts as a green light to all sorts of loons and half-wits of the kind who ruin forum websites for a majority of people who just want to wind down and relax without being cornered and browbeaten by the kind of people one can avoid in real life but who are harder to avoid in cyberspace. After all, this part of the website is open to all-comers and we wouldn't want to give the impression that the VOC is a political club, would we? Debating this over a beer or three is one thing, but it leads nowhere good on the internet.

PK

Last edited:

indianken

Non-VOC Member
PK

Fine. As you can see, I made my response to Phil off post, to keep this issue off the forum. After your eight paragraph tirade you say, "lets keep this type of topic off the post".

Why didn't you take your own advice?

I'm done with this topic.
Ken Smith

Île-de-France?
Isn't that the only place in WW2 Europe that America had to help free so they could call us bastards afterwords?

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
norvin e-bay

I'd like to think that the number of bidders will act as a barometer towards the feelings towards this subject! Greed+avarice excepted.

Prosper Keating

Non-VOC Member
PK

Fine. As you can see, I made my response to Phil off post, to keep this issue off the forum. After your eight paragraph tirade you say, "lets keep this type of topic off the post".

Points of order:

a) You raised "the issue" in the first place.

b) My post is not a "tirade", according to the OED definition.

c) You are misquoting me.

Why didn't you take your own advice?

I'm done with this topic.
Ken Smith

The answer to your question lies in your decision to drop the topic.

Île-de-France?
Isn't that the only place in WW2 Europe that America had to help free so they could call us bastards afterwords?

I am sure there are plenty of other places in the world where the locals think of their American liberators as bastards. As Oscar Wilde observed, old chap, no good turn goes unpunished..

Don't take it amiss, though. Plenty of people around the world fail to appreciate the benefits of having been part of the British Empire. We are surrounded by ingrates, Ken.

Personally, I revere the memory of all those young GIs who fought and bled in the ETO from 1942 to 1945. So do many other Europeans.

May the road rise up to meet you, as we say in Ireland.

PK

Last edited:

lindie

Non-VOC Member
title: norvin
basic initial topic: ebay item

rest in pm form would be lovely. maybe even edit the remainder out?

bike looks good. not quite classic with the modern front brakes but the ability to stop on something that looks as fast standing still as that would be good. ties in with having indicators too i suppose. a crank mount alternator is mentioned with a belt primary but theres very little in the way of a photo . is this a simple thing to replicate?

looks ok for the starting bid.