Norvin

Bracker1

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
As with art, there is no substitute for a good original. The percieved desirability of the Vincent has pushed it's value to stupid levels. But compared to the $30,000,000 estimate given for the Moss MB 300 SLR, we have no need to apologize for owning a Vincent. The original Cobra may be a piece of junk, but to the motoring public, it represented raw power. It's like comparing Jack Dempsey to Ali, each had faults but dominated their era.(Ali would have destroyed Dempsey by the way) Todays machinery is more safe, drivable, and easier at speed. With enough restored machinery to fill all the museums, there is no worry about building up specials using factory engines. So by all means, drive what you like. I'm quite sure a used Gixxer would out perform any Vincent special including the new Australian race bike, but I would still rather pudder around on a Vincent. The point is, a newly manufactured engine,even with superior performance and reliabilty, is not worth as much as a factory produced engine. Therefore, 13,000 seemed a fair price for the package. Thats the great thing about living in a democracy, we all have our own opinions and don't get shot over them. Be Happy, Dan

lindie

Non-VOC Member
chalk me up as a W196 fan who is more than happy to admire them from afar. to my knowledge theres noone out there doing affordable commercially available replicas with inboard front drums, a desmo straight eight, and the "I won the mille miglia" bragging rights so though the new supercars can easily kick the originals arse it has a bit of history to try and back up it's stupid price. the rest of the value is cos it's got tartan seats.:rolleyes:

over here many an xj6 has been raided for it's suspension components to build cobra replicas and i also subscribe to the each to their own theory, but don't want one. i think the ace is where they should have left things same as with the sunbeam tiger, as though they might not be as fast as the big banger they spawned, they won't be trying to throw the bulk that is the FE side oiler off the track at 140 mph plus either.

D type: worth replicating.

cobra: worth letting someone else own.

indianken

Non-VOC Member
lindie,

I had an AC Bristol for several years. Now that was a car. No extras on them! One thin sheet of alloy for a door. Motor sounded like two Austin Healeys in heat. Real Porsche killer in its day.:cool:

Ken Smith