Norvin

David Wardingley

Forum User
VOC Member
Hi Delboy,
The registration was tricky, made worse by the DVLA handling only health service workers paperwork( how much of that they got is anybody’s guess!) however all the paper work was sent off with the £55 and it was rejected I suspect by an apprentice form checker on the grounds that some paperwork was missing and the gross weight of the vehicle was not listed. The year of manufacture was circled in red although that actually was filled in so I’m not sure of that reason. However I contacted JMC who built the bike and he wrote a very good letter to the DVLA along with all the original paperwork sent it off and eventually I did receive the V5.
In all it took from 26th May until the end of August to get the V5
Regards
David

delboy

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi Delboy,
The registration was tricky, made worse by the DVLA handling only health service workers paperwork( how much of that they got is anybody’s guess!) however all the paper work was sent off with the £55 and it was rejected I suspect by an apprentice form checker on the grounds that some paperwork was missing and the gross weight of the vehicle was not listed. The year of manufacture was circled in red although that actually was filled in so I’m not sure of that reason. However I contacted JMC who built the bike and he wrote a very good letter to the DVLA along with all the original paperwork sent it off and eventually I did receive the V5.
In all it took from 26th May until the end of August to get the V5
Regards
David
Thanks David,
did you get an age-related number? If so, I'm astonished that DVLA gave it for a new frame, or was it an old frame?
Or have I mistaken something of the process here?
regards,
Delboy.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Hello delboy,
Yes it was an age related number but I cannot help with any other information as I do not know the processes that are required to get an age related plate!
David
Very intersting as the DVLA require proof that the vehicle, ie the engine and frame are over 25 years old to qualify for the age related registration application. I suspect JMC have not been honest with their application considering that the VOC hold the original factory records for any Vincents made and the Norton Owners club have access to the Norton frame equivalent and I have not been consulted about what the Vincent factory records (which the VOC own) for any Norvin made by JMC in the last couple of years.

Anything younger than 25 years old doesn't qualify for age related registration.

For the DVLA age related rules see:

Simon

Mark Fisher

Non-VOC Member
Hi Rob,
Brakes are Fontana 4 leading shoe, the best brakes I’ve ever had . They have so much feel and it really is just a two finger job to slow down QUICKLY!!!
David
I have just bought a very,very rough norvin and I’m just beginning to pull parts off it to see what,s what. The first thing that strikes me is that the heads are not secured to the frame in any way. I feel that this needs to be rectified so I’m looking for pics of how others have achieved this. I also note that the headstock is not re-inforced by being attached to a cylinder head as it would be on a dominator or whatever, I’m not happy with this either.
thanks
mark

Chris Launders

VOC Member
I don't have any pictures and the bike is not accessible at the moment but I have a single 5/16"alloy plate roughly triangular which one side picks up the lug on the back of the steering head, the one on the cross tube and an alloy mounting on the 4 front head studs, the 2nd side from the front head to the rear head on another alloy mounting on the 4 studs and then a lug on a cross tube where the rear of my Manx tank is and the 3rd side is back to the steering head.

greg brillus

VOC Member
The way I see it on this issue, it is a double edged sword........You want to brace the head stem to help with flexing under heavy braking.........However if the engine is mounted via lower engine plates and brackets to the lower frame and vertical swing arm lugs.........then it has rigid brackets from there to the steering head, the expansion of the engine when hot must surely jack the frame tubes apart.........This could cause cracks to form, as surely the engine must expand considerably from cold to hot.