Norvin

timetraveller

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
In addition I know a supplier who has been waiting for about eight months for the money before he dare send off the parts required. Be careful.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
This is my Norvin ??, You could always cheat a bit !, Standard Vincent frame , For the numbers,
And Norton Forks, looked better with clip ons , But old age means high bars :D .
Who would know ?.

Look at post 12, I have added a bit.

Attachments

• DSCN0125.JPG
    DSCN0125.JPG
    539 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:

Bill Cannon

VOC Member
Greg
To get a vehicle correctly registered in the UK then there are several options. If you are a large manufacturer recognised by DVLA (UK Government registration authority) then you can get production type approval. If you are a manufacturer of a low quantity of vehicles then you have to get SVA (single vehicle approval) for every vehicle you make and want registered. This covers all brand new vehicles and so as JMC are using brand new frames and brand new engines but in low quantity I would expect thm to have to pass an SVA test and all the modern regulations such as emissions, safety, construction etc for every bike they make.

Now if you are rebuilding a vehicle from old parts and the engine and frame can be proven to be manufactured over 25 years ago then you can apply for an age related registrations. This has the advantage of not having to pass modern regulations and sometimes MOT exempt and also free road fund tax and covers historic vehicles such as our bikes that were built by the Vincent factroy. Now something like a brand new Norvin with brand new engine and brand new frame should not qualify for this type of registrations and any vehicle that has falsly aquired such a registration is at risk of the DVLA stripping it of its reg and so making it unusable in UK and I know of circumstances that the DVLA have done exactly that.

As an example over the last few years Jaguar has made some brand new D types and I believe also some E types to exactly the original specification but because they are brand new they would have to pass modern regulations which they couldn't. So Jaguar has sold them as track day vehicles and not for use on UK roads as they would be able to get them past the DVLA.
I am not sure this is correct. We recently took a 2018 CCM Spitfire in Part Exchange and I am pretty sure this did not meet EU4 regs which were extant at that time. I asked around and was told that CCM only build in small batches of each model and as such do not have to me current regulations.

Also I was considering buying a Replica Morgan three wheeler kit and it was possible to register that as new with SVA test, but it did not have to meet the current emission regs.

Cheers Bill

Pete Appleton

VOC Hon. Editor
Staff member
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
The SVA test is now the IVA test. (Individual vehicle approval). You have to meet some emissions rules but only 4.5% CO at idle rather than Euro 5. Easy to do even with a carb. The worst problem I found with a Vincent engine when I was contemplating it was noise. A huge silencer muffled the exhaust but then you could hear all of the mechanical noise.

Of course, if you do the IVA route it will be a new motorcycle with a new, yellow, number plate. Any new bike sold without a new registration must have been registered via an 'alternative' scheme.

vibrac

VOC Member
I think the footrests fold angle is wrong for IVA they need to fold back and a good lining of lead in the timing cover will dim the noise during the test, I guess perhaps a good man could get a Vincent through but there would be a bit of after test 'tuning' and then after 3 years there is the annual MOT.....

bmetcalf

VOC Member
A US member tried lining the timing cover with lead and it didn’t work well. I don’t remember the details, though.

David Wardingley

Forum User
VOC Member
Hello Rob,
I think I am better qualified to make a judgement on your dilemma as to whether to purchase a Norvin or not. I have recently taken delivery of a JMC Norvin and my experience is thus.
On retirement I decided to order a Norvin from John Mossey (JMC) . I paid a hefty deposit followed by two other instalments as requested. The build time is 6months but I hadn’t anticipated that that just over 18months were required to obtain the parts( naive of me I know) it took just over two years to get the bike which was delivered by John himself. Unfortunately I couldn’t start the bike although John did quite easily. The starter failed shortly after, Burnt out along with the wires to the battery. John did come back to fix the problem which is a distance of over 130 miles. However I still felt the starter was getting very hot on a brief press of the button. I contacted John to say I wasn’t happy with the performance of the starter so he duly returned and took the bike away for one week and when it it returned it was cured of the malady ( two faulty starter motors). I have now done 111 miles and it is very good, handles like a dream, and goes very well. The Norvin has sprung an oil leak from a top union to the head which is a copper washer . I haven’t even bothered to report the problem as I will fix it myself with a spanner.
So overall would I buy another.? Yes I would, would I buy from John? Yes I would, just be prepared for a bit of a wait!!!!!
I hope you find this useful. One thing I had to do was register the bike myself which was tedious and in the end I couldn’t do it without the help of John so if you order get that in the contract as I feel the bike should have come registered in the first place.
David

delboy

VOC Member
Hello Rob,
I think I am better qualified to make a judgement on your dilemma as to whether to purchase a Norvin or not. I have recently taken delivery of a JMC Norvin and my experience is thus.
On retirement I decided to order a Norvin from John Mossey (JMC) . I paid a hefty deposit followed by two other instalments as requested. The build time is 6months but I hadn’t anticipated that that just over 18months were required to obtain the parts( naive of me I know) it took just over two years to get the bike which was delivered by John himself. Unfortunately I couldn’t start the bike although John did quite easily. The starter failed shortly after, Burnt out along with the wires to the battery. John did come back to fix the problem which is a distance of over 130 miles. However I still felt the starter was getting very hot on a brief press of the button. I contacted John to say I wasn’t happy with the performance of the starter so he duly returned and took the bike away for one week and when it it returned it was cured of the malady ( two faulty starter motors). I have now done 111 miles and it is very good, handles like a dream, and goes very well. The Norvin has sprung an oil leak from a top union to the head which is a copper washer . I haven’t even bothered to report the problem as I will fix it myself with a spanner.
So overall would I buy another.? Yes I would, would I buy from John? Yes I would, just be prepared for a bit of a wait!!!!!
I hope you find this useful. One thing I had to do was register the bike myself which was tedious and in the end I couldn’t do it without the help of John so if you order get that in the contract as I feel the bike should have come registered in the first place.
David
Hi David,
out of interest, how did you manage to register the bike?
Delboy.