Norvin

harlowrob

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi as a newby to these bikes i,am glad to take advice i would like the Norvin for acouple of reasons,1always liked featherbed specials,2 ,Ican remember years ago a friend swopped the most beautiful triton for the rundown Norvin ever,so i,am left with an itch that needs to be scratched. Rob.

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Is the Chap in Kent Still making them, One of His would be a Good Buy.
Anybody remember His name.

Manxnortonman ??.
He is on the Forum, Last on here in April, You could send Him a P.M. Top right hand corner of this page.
This is one of His.

Attachments

• Phil_Read_ACaf.jpg
    Phil_Read_ACaf.jpg
    274.4 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
always liked featherbed specials
Rob
You might like to have a good looks at a JMC Norvin. I'm sure their frame is a cutdown version of a featherbed as there doesn't appear to be any front downtubes. So your only getting half a featherbed which could raise a question, has it lost the famous Norton featherbed handling characteristics?

greg brillus

VOC Member
Interesting comments........I would have no problem bringing these clowns down in an instant........I've seen first hand the pathetic workmanship from the likes of JM and a Mr H Cowley residing in Germany........they are well intended blokes but I'm sure time gets the better of them and how they survive without broken knee caps or a bullet through the back of the head is beyond me........The reason they get away with it is because no one does anything about it, and the next poor sucker comes along. I can see why folk came up with Norvin's and Egli's in an effort to gain better handling, braking and comfort.........Back in the day the parts were available and people liked to be different........But moving forward......A well set up Vin with mods to the suspension and brakes, to me , is a better bike than any Norvin or Egli........Much more practical and easier to work on as well. The main reason I chose to keep the racer as a Norvin was that I already had the bike........Yes I could have (and still could) build it up as an all Vincent racer, but the cost would get too high....... It started off as just an engine change, but now has new suspension front and rear, and many other mods, and still cost a fortune........It's all good fun.......I'm just looking forward to using it now........ I have nearly finished the complete build of a brand new Norvin 1200 twin, which is a very special bike.......very nice...... I would have to ask the owner if i could post pictures on here first.......it is a big job, very expensive and very time consuming.........Well.......No more than a JMC built one.

Last edited by a moderator:

vibrac

VOC Member
If you are desperate for them a moment's search will find quite a few featherbed frame makers some actually hold them in stock the real problem is getting the assembly registered
But the way is to do your own there is a rolling chassis on eBay at the moment getting on for 3K with a V5 but perhaps as has been said the time has past for Norton's there are quite a few modern frames out there that will take a Vincent engine. Vincattti anyone?

Last edited:

Chris Launders

VOC Member
Rather than risk a fight with the DVLA using a replica frame and to save time and effort I would buy a nice Norton or Triton that is already registered etc and get a new engine built by someone reliable and swap that in.
You can use the bike as is until the engine is ready, then sell the existing engine/gearbox to recoup some of the cost.
Do some research and maths and see what you come up with, I'm sure it would be much less than JMC.

greg brillus

VOC Member
So why would someone like this JMC person go to the trouble of making these bikes if they cant be registered, or is he selling them all for export.........Gee if that is the case what a great lurk that is........send all the trouble miles away where customers cant touch you........

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Greg
To get a vehicle correctly registered in the UK then there are several options. If you are a large manufacturer recognised by DVLA (UK Government registration authority) then you can get production type approval. If you are a manufacturer of a low quantity of vehicles then you have to get SVA (single vehicle approval) for every vehicle you make and want registered. This covers all brand new vehicles and so as JMC are using brand new frames and brand new engines but in low quantity I would expect thm to have to pass an SVA test and all the modern regulations such as emissions, safety, construction etc for every bike they make.

Now if you are rebuilding a vehicle from old parts and the engine and frame can be proven to be manufactured over 25 years ago then you can apply for an age related registrations. This has the advantage of not having to pass modern regulations and sometimes MOT exempt and also free road fund tax and covers historic vehicles such as our bikes that were built by the Vincent factroy. Now something like a brand new Norvin with brand new engine and brand new frame should not qualify for this type of registrations and any vehicle that has falsly aquired such a registration is at risk of the DVLA stripping it of its reg and so making it unusable in UK and I know of circumstances that the DVLA have done exactly that.

As an example over the last few years Jaguar has made some brand new D types and I believe also some E types to exactly the original specification but because they are brand new they would have to pass modern regulations which they couldn't. So Jaguar has sold them as track day vehicles and not for use on UK roads as they would be able to get them past the DVLA.