Norvin

harlowrob

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi, all I have been talking to JMC restorations about a new build twin Norvin ,they seem to have all the market in them,and all the answers has anyone here had any dealings with them or any comments on their machines,thank
Rob.

timetraveller

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Be very careful that any money/deposits paid are secure and ask for a realistic time scale for completion of the project. Keep them to that and, if possible, get a clause in a contract which states that failure to meet a schedule will result in a claim for a refund of payments. Ideally pay in stages upon completion of certain parts of the job. That way you always own something you have paid for.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Also ask what sort of DVLA registration the bike will come with. If its a brand new engine and a brand new frame then it shouldn't qualify for a DVLA age related registration application as such an application requires the bike (engine & frame) to be at least 25 years old. Wrongly gaining an age related registration on a new bike has the risk of the DVLA of stripping it of the registration if they realise what has incured and then you the owner would have a bike you could not use on the road in the UK.

Albervin

VOC Member
Every person I know who have had dealings with JMC have had either money issues or engine issues. A friend ordered a bike from them when he was living and working in the UK. The estimated delivery date came and went then my friend returned to Australia. Constant requests for extra money and lack of any proof of the build progress were major issues. Eventually the bike was delivered but required more time and dollars to get running reliably. As TT suggested, you need a watertight contract and ideally be able to view the build during construction.

vibrac

VOC Member
I do get the impression that this sort of business making custom bikes will always be difficult as history shows

Last edited:

Albervin

VOC Member
I do get the impression that capital does not stay in the business it's all a bit cash in hand and hand to mouth
Tim, better be careful as JMC has ears and eyes in the club. My impression is that a new order for a bike assists in paying for a previous order. I know Patrick was cash starved at one stage and things got a little strange. I have also been told that a similar thing happens at JMC. As I am in Australia I feel I can say these things with both knowledge and the curse of distance. Remember back in 1986 I accused Atlantic Motorcycles of devious dealing and despite all the threats nothing eventuated. Even dear old Ted backed off.

timetraveller

VOC Member
JMC has ears and eyes in the club
Indeed it does and I have no intention of saying anything actionable. However, I would still advise ensuring that you have a contract which will ensure the safety of your money in, if it comes to it, a court of law. Expressing a purely personal point of view I do not understand why people choose Norvins as opposed to Eglis. Why put a frame around an engine/gearbox unit designed to be strong enough to act as a frame. If it is to recreate a nostalgic design from the 60s and 70s then I can understand it but otherwise I am lost. Greg has just gone down this route with a racing bike so perhaps he feels that there will be superior handling etc. It would be good to read why he chose that route. JMC and Godet can both produce Eglis and Godet have a long track record of happy customers.

Albervin

VOC Member
Norman, Nostalgia is a mighty big influence. Why else would people pay silly money for an ugly NEW Brough? The Neal Videan Replica Series "A" bikes are another matter entirely. A well engineered Norvin race bike in Australia will bring back memories of the mighty Corish Vincent and Eric Debenham. The last bastion of four stroke power against the two strokes. Other than that, not a lot. As far as Roy's comment; well not many have the ability to do that and have to pay to achieve their dream.