Norvin Weight

Little Honda

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Well, well, it´s probably the same scale, you are checking your weight with, once a week!;-) Anyway, this is a dream figure for a nice going Vincent twin-engined bike! But, a roadgoing Norvin has mudgards, generator, cables, battery, Lights, main stand, etc. Moreover, a standard atlas99 frame weighs - I guess- 6 kgs more, than a Manx-frame! Some days ago, I put my roadholder forks on the scale, just to know, and it showed 12,5 kgs - a forks of a VFR750 (MC36)
weighed 11 kgs! I think, you can get a road-going Norvin to 190kgs, easily - which is very good by modern standards. And, just to inform you, good 1000cc
BMW-racers (Michel-BMW) weigh not more than 145 kgs! My dry weight? There is no such thing! :)

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
To little Honda . You are revving too high , Vincents accelerate very effectively pulling a taller gear than a 50 rear . Drop it to 48 with a 21 up front . Third and top really haul great without overrevving , breaks things ! Sid .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Little Honda

Non-VOC Member
Agreed, Sid, that´s my impression. If you want to see nice light bikes, go to www.michel-bmw.com
the 850cc is shown there at 125kgs (oil in) and the 1000cc at 145kgs! Wrong make, I know - you cannot have everything!

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
These weights can be acheived with a Vincent powered machine. 332 lbs is 148 kgs, however this is not a 1000 cc racer like the BMW, it is the weight of a 1360 cc roadbike with mudguards, chainguard, charging system, good lights, airhorn, self cancelling indicators and so on. Comfort is good, a 1,000km day of riding is no problem.
The Vincent lump is not really such a lump after all !

Glen

jim burgess

VOC Member
Many times in the past I witnessed discussions about the pro´s and con´s concerning Norvins. One of the better reasons against the convertion was always: "It´s heavier than the standard Vincent." Only today I decided to find it out. As I am assembling my engine at
present and are planning to better springing and damping of my Norvin, I wanted to find the correct values for spring rates and damping
front and rear. Therefor, I weighed my frame wheel by wheel with a good platform scale, by hanging the other wheel in its centreline.
Thereafter, I put my engine (cases with flywheels in) plus all other loose engine parts on the scale. Finally, the rest, consisting of silencer,
battery, footrests and some other small parts.
Result: Frame complete on wheels: front 50kgs, rear 53kgs
Engine (BS): 77kgs
Rest : 20kgs
Total dry weight : 200 kgs
Now you can compare this to any modern 1000cc- motorcycle, 4, 3, or 2-cylinder: not bad for a 53-year old bike, and: 6 kgs less than the
standard Rapide!
From my first riding experiences on it last year and from what I am expecting from the Maxton-modifications to the roadholders and girlings on the rear, I am sure, it will be a pleasure to ride!
I contacted Hagons for my rear shock absorbers, they wern't cheap, but they are good. The roadholders at the front are undersprung despite, new springs and extra slugs to preload. I will eventually get new harder springs made. One day.
jim Burgess