Norvin Weight

Monkeypants

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Nice Job! It is always good to have information at hand. Several years ago I ran across an article by Phil Irving doubting how the Egli could weigh so little when compared to the Black Lightning. Despite the fact that I love the stock Vincent, the Vincent wheels alone when compared to the aluminum Campagnolo wheels must have been double the weight. After riding the single racer for many years at 285 lbs. it is difficult to coax me back on a twin.

David

I think Phil Irving would be quite shocked at how light an Egli style machine can be when it is built with lightweight wheels and tubeless tires.
As it sits, 350 pounds dry with a further weight reduction of 18 pounds yet to come. This will give a dry weight of 332 pounds or 380 full of fuel and oil with full road equipment .
To compare this with a modern sportbike, the closest comparable is the Kawasaki 250 cc Ninja at 383 wet, power is down from a 1360 Vincent though, just 11 ft lbs torque and 21 hp for the Ninja! Most of the modern litre sportbikes weigh in around 475 lbs wet with only small variations from model to model or year to year. Sportrider is a publication that gives the true weights of all the bikes they test. The numbers are surprisingly high.
The Vincent twin is a relatively light powerplant and aircooling gives a real weight advantage. When I started the build I was told by a Suzuki dealer that there was no way the finished bike could be nearly so light as a new GSXR 1000. In actual fact it is , or will soon be almost 90 pounds lighter than a 2013 GSXR 1000, (469 pounds wet, Sportrider)

Glen(

SC20130210-192829_zps4a8038bf.jpg

Last edited:

Howard

VOC Member
I'm impressed, Glen. I said you'd struggle as well. My Egli's about 400 lb with oil and enough petrol to start it (just). Mind you, the power to weight ratio has dropped considerably since I bought it................ the nut that turns the handlebars is 30 lb heavier than it was.

H

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
Howard, I think you said my target of 360 might be tough to do. I think you were spot on for a traditional Egli replica, probably somewhere around 380 and up is typical for that configuration. The Slater kit I looked at used Laverda wheels which felt even heavier than the stock Vincent wheels. With Laverda wheels the dry weight would be well over 400.
So you weren't far off the mark really. When the Suzuki dealer told me the bike would outweigh a GSXR it made sense.What neither of us knew at the time was how large the fib factor is with manufacturer's listed dry weightsfor their Sportbikes.

Rocket3

VOC Member
Just weighed my Norvin on my bathroom scales so it could be a few lbs out either way but it weighed in at 336lbs dry.

I have a 44 tooth sprocket that will fit on a Vincent rear brake drum not much of it thou!

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Glen,

I only saw the first season of the US show Cafe Racer before I moved to Ireland, maybe they have had some better machines lately, but man o man, if any bike deserved to be on that show, yours does.

Little Honda

Non-VOC Member
I have 50 teeth on the Norvin, simply coz they were there, when I got it. But, from my first 1000miles with it, I would like to reduce to 48, as, with the standard gearbox in a twin, combined with the original clutch (in working condition:)) it seems to me, that gearchange takes longer, as you are changing
at a higher rev-level, which is disliked by the clutch. In practice, with other bikes accompanying you, you firstly see them get smaller in your mirror, then
wanting to change gear at 5500 or a bit less, and you see them grow quickly again, as the gearchange takes sooo much time. At present, I am re-assembling
the engine, as the exhaust-follower-spindle of no.2 came out and caused a lot of damage, which is done, by now. This time, I shall try a Norton-clutch to see, if I can leave the 50 sprocket on, which only makes sense, if you want to enjoy the astonishing acceleration. I haven´t done anything to the gearbox,
yet, and I prefer to be gentle to the bike instead of hopeless tuning 60 years too late...
Let´s see....