Norvin Single race bike first run

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
There used to be lots of different needles and also the angle the needle works at,
I would have thought it needs another needle ?.
Must admit when I was running them, I played with a bit of wet and dry paper to get the bottom end to match, Once the top end was right, Don't tell Ron :D .

greg brillus

VOC Member
Hi there Bill, Yes I recon I could attack the needle with an angle grinder and it would be fine......... I took some measurements this afternoon, so the needle is 4 mm in diameter, and at the correct distance down the taper on full throttle it measures 2.7 mm........even with the needle wound upward (richer) so that about a 1/2 inch of thread was showing, the same point on the needle would be 2.5 mm plus with the float level raised quite a bit higher than where it says in the instruction sheet.........Ron told me that for sprinting and speedway they don't use a float bowl........I could try that, but I'm worried about the possibility of a hydraulic lock if too much fuel runs down the intake, if I forgot to turn the fuel tap off after a run........... I will give Ron a call and tell him what is happening and see what he suggests....... If I had some spare needles I wouldn't hesitate to modify one to suit but I don't have any.......... I could tell when it was a bit rich under acceleration as I could feel the cold fuel from the carb hitting my leg...........:).

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Depending on the size of petrol tank, I found it was only a click difference, between full tank and low,
But that was on PETROL, With no floats,
Because I used my Racer as road Bike as well, And I always like to run on the rich side,
As you know, It's better to run Methanol too rich too.
I tried Methanol once with T.T. carb's on the L/ning at a Sprint, But I was only on 9 to 1 Pistons then,
Which didn't give me anything over petrol.
The L/ning was never as fast as my road Bike.

Cyborg

VOC Member
These pictures show some detail of the Ignitech ignition with twin single output coils which is the best way to go.......The box is mounted just behind the steering head.......the model is a TCI P4 V96 version that is a 2 channel unit and fully programmable........they also show the 40 mm Gardner flat slide carby and the large Dellorto SS 1 float bowl that I made a custom shock absorbing mount for, and easy to adjust the level up or down quite quickly. The Hall effect pickup sensor is available from Jaycar a local electronics supply shop less than $20 and made my own "Choper Disc" that mounts inboard of the crank pulley........The pickup is mounted on a special made bracket, we machined a nice smooth radius curve at the rear of the main bearing housing so we could slacken the clamping screws to rotate the pickup assembly up and down to set the initial advance.......i can move it from 5 to 10 degrees plus very easily........The rest is done in the programming of the unit which has a cable to connect it to a lap top.........Sounds easy doesn't it..........Cheers.

Had a look at the spec sheet for that ignition. Looks interesting. It requires more than a VOS (which is good), but a MAP sensor (they call it an IAPS) would be perfect for the job. I think intake air pressure would be a better input that TA sensor. I wonder what Ignitech would have to say about that.