Misc: Everything Else Norvin Rebuild

ericg

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
What's wrong with Amals? They are cheap, available and if you use good air filters they don't wear as fast as people keep saying.
I don't have a car or a modern bike, I only use my old Brits for commuting everyday, week-ends and holidays trips and they all are fitted with Amals and are pleasure to ride.
Moreover they don't look totally out of place on an old British machine as some other instruments, but I know, it's up to each owner.
Fit a pair of new Amals and you won't be disappointed and keep your machine coherent. You'll also help to keep them available, remember, no demand, no offer.
Cheers.
Eric

vibrac

VOC Member
Well I've got the engine rebuilder sorted and also made some progress on the various parts I'm going to use.
I'm still looking for a better swinging arm than the standard one and also an alloy petrol tank supplier. Any recommendations ?
https://www.facebook.com/specialized.products12/
I know its unlike me to give a facebook link but I think the scammers have been at his main web site
he has done 2 Egli tanks for me and always has specials in work.
alan woodwood

Rixon

VOC Member
Just ordered an electric start from Francois Grosset, the frame will need modifying to give some clearance but it's not a big issue. Carbs will be 30mm but I haven't decided on Amals or Mikunis yet. I suppose we'll have to make up the manifolds unless anyone knows where they can be sourced ? (Bike has two front heads).

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I bought from Club Shop, Manifolds for Amal Mk2 that fits with the rubber mount for 2 front heads, They also stock for "C" type.
Very pleased, Only trouble, The hole is about 28 or 29 ish and I have 30 mm carbs, They are a bit too thin to take out anymore, But I have blended the ends, There is a step with this type of fitting anyway at the rubber.
I think they are out of stock for the front one, For a few months.
Cheers Bill.

timetraveller

VOC Member
If you are prepared to use copies of the Lightning and Grey Flash inlet manifolds then contact me. They are 32 mm internal and could be opened up but not shrunk down. They are longer than the standard adaptors.

Dave61

Non-VOC Member
Just ordered an electric start from Francois Grosset, the frame will need modifying to give some clearance but it's not a big issue. Carbs will be 30mm but I haven't decided on Amals or Mikunis yet. I suppose we'll have to make up the manifolds unless anyone knows where they can be sourced ? (Bike has two front heads).
I've ordered 30mm Mikunis from Steve at Motocarb, he was very helpful & seems to know his stuff.
Dave

Dave61

Non-VOC Member
I bought from Club Shop, Manifolds for Amal Mk2 that fits with the rubber mount for 2 front heads, They also stock for "C" type.
Very pleased, Only trouble, The hole is about 28 or 29 ish and I have 30 mm carbs, They are a bit too thin to take out anymore, But I have blended the ends, There is a step with this type of fitting anyway at the rubber.
I think they are out of stock for the front one, For a few months.
Cheers Bill.
Hi Bill,
I ordered my manifolds the other week & hadn't realised they were out of stock so still managed to put it in the "Shopping Basket",No hope for me !
Apparently it's going to be a couple of months before the next batch are in.
Cheers
Dave

vibrac

VOC Member
There is 'room' for a larger inlet pattern say 34mm for Mikuni that will allow for a standard tank cut out perhaps I shall just have to see if I have any triumph tiger cub exhaust pipe left and get brazing

timetraveller

VOC Member
Or you could buy aluminium Lightning pattern ones at £70 each and fit them at once. Even ready with the groove near the outer end to take the rubber adaptor.

Rixon

VOC Member
I've got a chance to buy this original Yamaha brake. Is it a better bet than a modern replica Ceriani ? Also I'm not sure of the value but the owner wants more than a modern replica costs.

Brake + Speedo.JPG