Misc: Everything Else Norvin Rebuild

Rixon

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I've recently acquired a Norvin. It's in dismantled condition, with a few bits missing, and has been off the road for at least 25 years.
It belonged to a good friend of mine that sadly passed away some ten years ago. I remember pushing it down the road with him in the late 1970's !
My intention is to restore it and incorporate some improvements along the way.
I have a few choices to make. Front brake - I want something decent but it has to be a drum. I see there are lots of "replica" 4LS jobs available - Anyone have experience of a replica Robinson, or any of the others available ? Obviously price is a consideration and a £2000 plus job is not on the menu ! Anyone have anything suitable they may part with ?
Wheels, I wish to retain Borranis or Dunlops but18 or 19 inch ? Electric starter - availability and owners experience ? 12v electrics - as before ? Carburetors - currently on Amals but they look a bit "beat up".
All info and suggestions welcomed.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I've recently acquired a Norvin. It's in dismantled condition, with a few bits missing, and has been off the road for at least 25 years.
It belonged to a good friend of mine that sadly passed away some ten years ago. I remember pushing it down the road with him in the late 1970's !
I have a few choices to make. Front brake - I want something decent but it has to be a drum. I see there are lots of "replica" 4LS jobs available - Anyone have experience of a replica Robinson, or any of the others available ? Obviously price is a consideration and a £2000 plus job is not on the menu ! Anyone have anything suitable they may part with ?
Wheels, I wish to retain Borranis or Dunlops but18 or 19 inch ? Electric starter - availability and owners experience ? 12v electrics - as before ? Carburetors - currently on Amals but they look a bit "beat up".
Lots of replica brakes available, maybe someone on here can give you some real-world feedback on that. Rims of a suitable shape/type are available, not sure if Dunlop rims are still available new. If it is a twin, does it have a chopped engine with a Norton or other gearbox or does it still have the Vincent box? If it still has the Vincent box the Grosset electric starter should fit, it works very well on my twin.
New Amal carbs are available, I've fitted new Mikunis to my twin. They work really well and I'm not too bothered about originality.

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
I have an original Robinson in a triton. Very good. John Mossey uses pattern ones in his customer builds. Inspected one made by classic racer suspension, appears to be well made, would have bought it if the money was in my pocket. As for carbs, wait until the motor is installed in the frame you will not have a lot of room! the starter is the same, on mine (look at the picture to the left) the right hand frame rail will not allow a Grosset unit to be used without some serious bodgery .Wheel rims I used are 19 front, 18 rear for bigger tyre choice. Keep on asking, you have the start of what could be a magnificent bike.

Rixon

VOC Member
Bike is a twin and hasn't been chopped i.e still has the Vincent box. The Roadholder forks are missing, but I know these are not too difficult to source. I'm thinking to go with Cerianis though. Rear suspension - I have access to a set of original Girlings but I'm thinking Hagons may be superior ? Not being able to fit the Grosset electric starter has given me something to think about ! Thanks for the info so far.

evcomet

VOC Member
I bought this 4LS brake from caferacersuspension in May of 2017 after Greg Brillus posted a response to a similar question about my Egli build.

Search for this thread. Greg's response is #3.

Egli Comet brake question
Thread starter evcomet Start date12 May 2017 T

I bought the magnesium model. It is a very nice piece and the best price I could find.

Jerry

Attachments

• Ceriani Replica 4LS brake.jpeg
    Ceriani Replica 4LS brake.jpeg
    605.1 KB · Views: 51

druridge

VOC Member
There wouldn't have been room for a Grosset starter between the frame rails and my unchopped Norvin motor.
Standard Roadholders weren't up to the job either, Cerianis might be a good choice (or a set off a Guzzi/Ducati etc). In fact a whole front end off something Italian could be good?
I run 2 round barrel Guzzi's and both are happy on Koni's / Ikon's; I find these to be super well made shox.
I agree with 19" front & 18" rear, then you can use good tyres like Roadriders.
Mine ran on Monoblocks, but if there was room I would choose Delortos now.

vibrac

VOC Member
I hope the replica Robinson is better than the original on my Egli EV16 down the old long Norwich straight I found the lever on the twist grip and the bike in the gravel trap (still upright), terrible quality, poor castings, last I saw it was under Ron Kemps bench.. good riddance.

Rixon

VOC Member
Well I've got the engine rebuilder sorted and also made some progress on the various parts I'm going to use.
I'm still looking for a better swinging arm than the standard one and also an alloy petrol tank supplier. Any recommendations ?

stu spalding

VOC Member
I fitted VM28 Mikunis to my Shadow 20 years ago and after about 6,000 miles a year they're still in fine fettle. The only problem is that the front float bowl hits the rear head. This can be avoided by elongating the stud holes a touch and rotating the manifold about the port axis. The manifold bend then swings the carb away from the head. They are to be highly recommended. Cheers,Stu.

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
The bloke I got Mikunis from in the U.K. was Steve from Motocarb. Haven't touched them since they were fitted. Just tell him engine, C.R. and exhaust system and he'll get very close to perfect first time. I would go 28mm.