Misc: Everything Else Norvin Rebuild

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The Club ones are not too long, They fit nice in the cut away of the tank, Are yours very long, Like L/ning ?.
Cheers Bill.

timetraveller

VOC Member
Mine are copies of the original Lightning and Grey Flash ones except that the outer ends are machined to order to allow three different carb types to be used, stub fitting, rubber mounted or flange. So they are longer than the standard ones intended for type 29 s etc but provided that you have the large tank cutaway the front carb will fit in there OK. They are cast in such a way that they could be machined shorter, but not as short as original road going ones.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
My bike has two front heads so I'm not sure whether any off the shelf manifold will be suitable.
Me too, But the Club Shop was out of stock of the front one ??, Should be in a month or so ?.
DSCN0044 (3).JPG

vibrac

VOC Member
I made mine shorter and as it was for a Mikuni I was stuck about the groove for the rubber connector a clever lathe fixture was too much as was hand filing.
in the end I turned up a 'cup' that fitted over the cut end with a hole in the side where I wanted the groove the right diameter of the groove I fitted a drill in a electric drill with a tube to restrict the depth to protude to depth of new grove stated the drill pushed it in and rotated the cup, result one groove for the carb rubber
i must say that part worked well but I still found clearance for the Mikuni VM 34mm very tight on my tank

timetraveller

VOC Member
The design of the casting patterns, from which the carb adaptors I supply are made, is such that the outer approx. 2" is oversized and thus can be machined to fit different types of carburettor. I have just had a look at one alongside a standard one and there would be no problem shortening them by one inch which would still leave them about half an inch longer than the standard ones. The rear one will fit both front and rear heads fitted to the rear cylinder.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
One thing that has always puzzled me is why the studs are top and bottom, making one always hard to get a nut on and restricting how the bore of the adaptor can be angled.
I've recently considered making cruciform adaptor plates that fit to the engine with countersunk screws and then having horizontal studs to locate home made adaptors giving easier fitting and the possibility of lowering the front carb, The stud centres could also be wider apart making bigger bore adaptors easier to fit.
Thoughts on this idea ?
Chris.

Cyborg

VOC Member
Not sure if the screws you will need are available through VOC spares. I just ordered some for a similar situation, but I don't recall if they are socket head. I don't have access to the #, but they are listed in the parts book for the lightning manifolds.