Misc: Everything Else Norvin Rebuild

oexing

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Chris, did you try that before ? I imagine there is a lot of tension on that ring from the spokes. So I guess that ring had to be very massive. I was thinking about special welding but magnesium is a bit problematic and it would not be done at acceptable price most likely. Instead I´d go for just a new hub, still in production from Molnar and other sources. Actually I don´t need to repair that pictured hub, got a perfect one from a friend, the golden painted in the photo. But then there is no active project to include the Fontana for a while, may go onto a 750 Laverda. In my eyes a Fontana is great for Eglis but not quite in the spirit of more standard Rapides or Shadows so I will keep the twin drum set albeit my own design I think.

Vic

vibrac

VOC Member
In among the drivel one reads in bike papers was a nugget of interest about the new Brough Superior SS100.
Yes I know what's the market for a £60K bike with a nod to a 1930 design? (and this from a country with a 50mph limit on single carriageways)
Anyway tucked away in the specs was the front brake which is a 4 (yes 4) X230mm dia discs front on a cotton reel hub arranged on each end with 4 pot calipers, braking distances are not quoted on road tests nowadays, but the hack said they were "stupendously powerful " lets see 230mm is about 9 inches in real money OK I could live with 180 to keep the profile near the original 7" drum it said they were based on Aircraft brakes, not for use on Bramptons though methinks

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
In among the drivel one reads in bike papers was a nugget of interest about the new Brough Superior SS100.
Yes I know what's the market for a £60K bike with a nod to a 1930 design? (and this from a country with a 50mph limit on single carriageways)
Anyway tucked away in the specs was the front brake which is a 4 (yes 4) X230mm dia discs front on a cotton reel hub arranged on each end with 4 pot calipers, braking distances are not quoted on road tests nowadays, but the hack said they were "stupendously powerful " lets see 230mm is about 9 inches in real money OK I could live with 180 to keep the profile near the original 7" drum it said they were based on Aircraft brakes, not for use on Bramptons though methinks
I looked closely at these a few years ago when the new Brough Superior appeared at the motorcycle show and researched on the internet to see how they worked. I can see that it is a way to increase the braking area without increasing the diameter but other than that I saw it as an unnecessary complication and a bit of a gimmick. There are lots of incredibly good brakes available without the extra complication used here.
Note: The speed limit on single carriageways in the UK is 60 mph unless otherwise posted not 50 mph as posted above.
I'm not much of one for originality. A Norvin is a special and what made specials special was the diverse components that they were made up of. The more diverse the more special they were.

Last edited:

Chris Launders

VOC Member
Apparently early Oldani's were prone to breaking the spoke flange and they later changed to a steel spoke flange, I've seen several. there's not that much tension on spokes and they operate in opposing directions, look how thin a standard Vincent spoke flange is. I have a Fontana with a couple of spokes broken out and intend to re-flange it.
Chris.

Spqreddie

VOC Member
This is the magnesium 250 Fontana replica, on wich i am working to for adapting it to my Rapide. The rim is a flanged alloy type WM2, and the Tyre a Speedmaster MKII, I have been told by an Avon engineer that the Speedmaster was actually disinged for a WM2 rim witdht. It's a bit larger then than the original rim, but i hope this will give slightly more tyre contact for the bigger brake. I am still thinking on where to fix the torque bar. i dont want to drill the balades, so i must make a clamp or have a rally long torque arm up to the fork links spindles.
received_10160529813760581.jpeg
received_10160529811460581.jpeg

vibrac

VOC Member
I

Note: The speed limit on single carriageways in the UK is 60 mph unless otherwise posted not 50 mph as posted above.
According to the rag I read the SS100 is made in France and I know this year from the waves of boredom on the single carriageway to Dunkirk 80kph is a good as it gets. Any side road or farm track intersection and its less. Not a problem next year, I have no wish to join a queue for an international driving license to sample that pain again.

Rixon

VOC Member
Update. Bought the TZ brake with wheel for what I think is a decent price, around the same as a replica Ceriani. As a bonus I also got a new old stock Goldie silencer in the deal.

The brake looks in decent condition and should turn out well, going to strip it down and have it vapour blasted.

I was intending to use either a Goldie silencer or straight through pipes but I thought they would probably be too noisy for road use. I've seen the push-in baffles but it seems rather contrary to have a straight through exhaust and then put a baffle in the end. Anyone had any experience ?

My only experience is with a classic Jaguar exhaust system where a reducer near the head was ok, but the same reducer near the end of the exhaust dropped the performance.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
For me the Armours Stainless Vincent, Is the best for performance, Not too much noise.
The hole inside WAS bigger for the Stainless, But I was there a few months ago and they told me they now
Fit the same size Baffle in the Chrome one.
I had a Goldie one years ago, And it had a very small baffle hole, So have a look inside, What ever you buy.
Cheers Bill.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
I have a straight through Goldie on my Norvin, it's a bit louder than my straight through "standard" silencer on my Shadow but not at all anti-social, by straight through I don't mean empty, they have at least a perforated tube inside.