Misc: Everything Else Norvin Rebuild

Cyborg

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Now I'm feeling remorseful about my Comet project. Assembled from Vincent, Norton, Ducati, BMW, Yamaha, 2 different Hondas and still counting.... and it has disc brakes. I need to add some vowels so I can come up with an appropriate X rated acronym.

davidd

VOC Member
Regarding footrests. The bike had some rather poor quality rear sets fitted which aren't really worth re-using. I would like to try and use original Vincent footrests/pedals.

Has anyone got any complete footrests or even bits and pieces that they'd consider selling ?

Tarozzi makes a decent rearset if you get stuck for a solution. They are metric, but you can get them with many different features. Check the "Universal" rearsets.

http://www.fastfromthepast.com/rearsets

David

vibrac

VOC Member
I fitted a Robinson 4 leading shoe to my first Egli I got from Roger Slater from his caravan in a wood at Chadersley Corbett .when I started racing it in BMsee MCC and VOC meetings. cant remember where I bought it but it was brand new and a lot of money in 1960 odd
It was without doubt the worst collection of poor castings and rubbish components I ever owned, it finally dumped me in the gravel at Norwich hairpin at Snetterton on lap two with the lever against the twist grip. In the end I gave it to Ron Kemp he tried to sort it but never did. I fitted a 190mm BSA brake which I had used on the comet racer that was much better. All that glitters is not gold

greg brillus

VOC Member
I agree that some replica brakes are extremely poor, even some of our replica Lightning alloy plates have been far from satisfactory from what I've seen. I had a replica full width front hub where the new linings came away from the shoe with a light pry with a blade screwdriver because of a terrible ridge left in the center-line of the brake shoes themselves as the manufacturer could not be bothered dressing it off. I have to say that some of the replica brakes are far better than others, and it is worth noting that when considering buying one, that you buy one that ideally suits the size and weight of the bike. Not only that but some of the large top quality brakes are very expensive, between 2000 to 2500 pounds. I have had great success with an original but very much lightened Suzuki 750 GT brake, Three of the magnesium back plate 230 mm Ceriani's and I also have one of the Molnar replica Magnesium 250 mm Fontana's, this last one is probably the pick of the bunch and I haven't decided what will happen to it yet, but is sure is an awesome looking brake.......... Just fabulous.

vibrac

VOC Member
just a note Greg my Robinson was an original it may be that not for the first time Replicas are better than the original as we all saw a decade ago when the Club build Shadow, the first made entirely out of new parts for sixty odd years did not sell well, the market does not always agree.. more fool the market

Rixon

VOC Member
The replica brakes I've shortlisted are from Laszlo at Café Racer Suspension in Hungary. As far as I can understand his Robinson and Ceriani replicas share the same internals. I've seen several reviews of his products and all have been positive.

oexing

VOC Member
When going for an all magnesium brake like the Fontanas, better get double crossed spokes. It is very important that spokes join the magnesium hub in perfect tangential orientation so the material is compression stressed , unlike the more radial way as with single crossed spokes. The cracked Fontana hub with single crossed pattern was possibly scrapped in an accident, but even so , you better order spoke lengths for double crossed pattern, a bit more weight but worth the added safety.

Vic
P1060441.JPG

P1060447.JPG

P1060450.JPG

P1060454.JPG