Misc: Everything Else Norvin Rebuild

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Here are the three modification questions:

Will it damage the original or prevent its reconstruction?
Does it look the same as original from five feet away?
Could they have done it back then?

Number one is not negotiable (one of the others is desirable)
Number two allows eight inch brakes coil overs concentric eccentrics steering dampers and lots more
Number three allows Thommos 4 valve heads

Rixon

VOC Member
The Yamaha brake was fitted as a safety upgrade to many British bikes in-period.

Fast forward forty years and fitting one now is hardly the same as fitting modern twin discs or purchasing a modern motorcycle. It's in the spirit of what owners did at the time.

Eric I'm not sure what you're suggesting. Use a single leading shoe Norton brake ? Use a modern replica brake in preference to an original period brake simply because it's made in Japan ?
Something else ?

To clarify - the bike is for road use only.

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
As far as the crmc is concerned any drum brake is eligible for period one. If it can be proved it was done "in period" you are ok. The only four valver to gain special dispensation was the" Mullarney" manx. As Sid did it in period.

ericg

VOC Member
The Yamaha brake was fitted as a safety upgrade to many British bikes in-period.

Fast forward forty years and fitting one now is hardly the same as fitting modern twin discs or purchasing a modern motorcycle. It's in the spirit of what owners did at the time.

Eric I'm not sure what you're suggesting. Use a single leading shoe Norton brake ? Use a modern replica brake in preference to an original period brake simply because it's made in Japan ?
Something else ?

To clarify - the bike is for road use only.
I'm suggesting that to my eyes Japanese parts will always ruins the "spirit" of these old British machines. I was too young at the time to ride a motorcycle but I've seen period photos of road going specials fitted with various TLS from British manufacturers or Italian brakes like the big Fontana 250 but never Yamaha ones. A single leading shoe Norton brake will never look as out of place as these Yamaha brakes. I'm pretty sure you already know that Norton and Triumph used to make good TLS brakes but there is also John Tickle, Robinson or even Dresda if you like big ones.
And yes, I'd definitely fit a nice Robinson replica for example against any Japanese.
I'm sure no one can imagine a Jap engined Brough Superior with a Mikuni carb, a Kawasaki clutch and a Yamaha brake for "safety upgrades", why our poor Vincents would have to endure this?
Please note that I'm the builder and owner of a Norvin, a triple engined Triton and that I'm currently persuading a Comet engine into a BSA A10 frame. Not a Japanese part on any of them and they all go and stop very well, thank you very much.
But in the end, it's your machine and of course you can do what you like with it.

Robert Watson

VOC Member
I'm guessing a T150 or T160 or even an A75R 750 triple. There was guy in town going to put an A75R in a featherbed but in the end it stalled. When I bought his Thruxton Velo he gave me the triple engine....

ericg

VOC Member
triple engined Triton

Photos, please!
Here it is Bruce. Front brake is Grimeca. As Vic said above about his superb BMW
L1100842.jpg
and its Ceriani you have to be careful at slow speed on the wet.

oexing

VOC Member
With a bit of Google I found several shops that sell replica brakes , amazingly at very different prices, for Cerianis, Fontanas, Yamaha brake too. Allright, the Yamaha is not a European brake for a "EU" Vincent, but regarding the time period it is not much different to the big Fontana I believe, so in my eyes a lot more acceptable than disc brakes on a classic. Anyway, for road bikes you have to be aware of the wet weather danger. Possibly the big air scoops facing straight to the front as on Cerianis or the Grimeca make a big (bad) difference compared to the side wire mesh air inlets of Fontanas and Yamaha, I can not tell. But then who rides motor bikes a lot in rain today ?

Vic
Molnar replica brakes
Yamaha replica

Rixon

VOC Member
I have no problem fitting the Yamaha brake to a Norvin, particularly as it has some age. Here's a Triton with one fitted. I can't see that the appearance is that much different to any other 4LS stopper of the period.

Triton with a Yamaha Brake.jpg

Interesting that you've linked to a Hungarian replica of a Japanese brake. Perhaps an EU version would be more acceptable ;)

Actually I am more inclined to a Robinson replica but I'm going to look at the Yamaha early next week.

Rixon

VOC Member
Regarding footrests. The bike had some rather poor quality rear sets fitted which aren't really worth re-using. I would like to try and use original Vincent footrests/pedals.

Has anyone got any complete footrests or even bits and pieces that they'd consider selling ?