Misc: Everything Else Norvin Rebuild

greg brillus

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
These TZ Yamaha brakes are nice although they are quite heavy as the hub and plates are made from aluminium not magnesium. At 260 mm they are probably the largest commercially made four leading shoe brake that is readily available. It probably is worth more than a replica, but it may need some work before use if the linings and/or the hub bearings need replacement, so you need to think about that. I personally like the 230 mm Ceriani because it is available with optional magnesium plates and this offers quite a saving in weight especially on a race bike, they are a great sized brake that suit classic bikes and they have a large intake/cooling scoop which is important for cooling. The only minor down side is they don't have the cable anchor on the plates like the Yamaha ones do, even the Suzuki 4 L/s GT 750 brake has this feature. But if you are running telescopic forks, the torque stay brackets to anchor the brake plates generally have a small extension to the rear to anchor the outer cable/adjuster to anyway. I have made many of these brackets so they fit the conversion better and align the cables correctly with no problems.

oexing

VOC Member
Yeah, had the Ceriani 230 since almost 40 years on the BMW now. It does its job quite well, not too strong on the 200 kg bike - but in wet weather a bit dangerous as water will lead to NO brake at all for some seconds - and then it can bite suddenly when it gets dry . So be prepared for that but then disc brakes in those days had the same problem as well.

Vic

P1040061.JPG

Attachments

• P1040061.JPG
    P1040061.JPG
    984 KB · Views: 1

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
D
I've got a chance to buy this original Yamaha brake. Is it a better bet than a modern replica Ceriani ? Also I'm not sure of the value but the owner wants more than a modern replica costs.

View attachment 24444
Does the brake come complete with rim as shown and if so would you use that rim? If not you will have to factor in the cost of a new rim and wheel build to the cost of a new replica brake.
I personally don't see the point in paying more for an old used item than I would for a new item unless there is some particular provenance for the S/H item. If you were building something original then that could be a factor but as you are building a Norvin what do you class as "original"?

Rixon

VOC Member
The brake does come with the rim and yes I would use it. I have no big preference for either a new brake or the Yamaha brake. Having said that, a genuine item does appeal slightly more. My primary concern is to get the best performing brake for the money.

I've looked at the replica brakes from Hungary, they seem decent and have good reviews on this forum. The manufacturer actually recommended his Robinson over the Ceriani so that's the way I'll probably go if I don't buy the Yamaha brake.

As you say there's no such thing as an original Norvin although I am trying to retain the "period" feel to the bike, hence drum not disc (don't mention the electric start);).

vibrac

VOC Member
Well they may have banned Girdralics but the vintage club have saved me a lot on money over the years:

HUBS
Must be of a type fitted by the manufacturer with the machine. No dual brakes permitted on solos unless original specification.

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
When you run a g p bike at over 150 m p h, brakes are in my reckoning a safety item. There is no British made drums that are acceptable. Check out the latest classic bike magazine , on page 46 you will see a write up of the bike in question. I took a failed prototype and made it the fastest 500 in classic racing. By the way, I used both yamaha's.

ericg

VOC Member
When you run a g p bike at over 150 m p h, brakes are in my reckoning a safety item. There is no British made drums that are acceptable. Check out the latest classic bike magazine , on page 46 you will see a write up of the bike in question. I took a failed prototype and made it the fastest 500 in classic racing. By the way, I used both yamaha's.
For safety Roy, maybe you should also use modern forks, frame and lights and also a modern engine with a modern gearbox . Why not purchase a modern motorcycle directly? OK it's an endless debate. But anyway, I'll still try to keep my classic motorcycles classics. And please note that I didn't say original!
Cheers.
Eric