F: Frame Norvin out of Dominator 88

Bill Cannon

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
From my personal point of view, the reason for the Norvin idea is very simple: The best engine in the best frame - end of discussion. If it is done well - like Ernst Hegeler´s version - it is a much more comfortable bike to ride,
than any other original Vincent twin. The frame´s nickname "featherbed" relates to its comfort, not to its
racing quality, which is also there. Regarding rumors about being "head heavy", " higher centre of gravity",
"heavy steerability" , let me tell you, they are all caused by wrong engineering. The major complaint about
being head-heavy is simply not true. I have weighed mine, getting 204kgs, fuel tank 2/3 full, of which 47%
were front weight and 53% rear weight. Besides, total being some 4 kgs lighter, than a standard Rapide!
With me on my Norvin, the weight distribution is app. opposite, ie, 43% front and 57% rear, depending on
seating position. I cannot complain in any way, whatsoever, about my Norvin´s roadholding. There is no
steering damper, and I have never experienced the slightest wobble, not even a thought of it.
To get an impression of these measurements, I weighed my 650cc HONDA Hawk (RC31) in the same way, which is one of the best bikes to ride on country roads : Believe it, or not: 47% front, 53%rear, total 185kgs
ready to ride, 60 hp. Wheelbase: 1445mm, Norvin: 1417mm !
The Hawk is of course, much easier to ride than my Norvin, but because of 20kgs less weight, much better
brakes and more modern tyres/ sizes and easier performance, possibly, because using a flywheel with 2
big ends. The weakest point (though being one of the best in its days) on the Norvin is the roadholder forks.
It may be good at a 120kgs - Manx Norton, but not in comparison with modern forks, after having been fitted with harder springs for being part of a Norvin. I decided to live with it, having it optimized by MAXTON, because I want to have correct historic looks of my Norvin.
I think, if you order a replica featherbed from Unity for use in a NORVIN build, it will be 1 in longer, than
std., for easy fit of the Vincent twin engine. I am using an unaltered wideline frame of an Atlas99. I did not
alter my exhaust piping, nor did I cut rear head fins. It is possible, but not easy! I also did not flatten my
frame downtubes to let the chain pass by. I used a 5/8"x1/4" chain instead the std. one. I am running 19"
front and rear, using Dunlop TT100´s.
And, if you want to reduce weight any further on your Norvin, use a real Manx race frame, you will arrive
at below 200kgs for your 1000cc bike, which is still very competetive, today!
Ref. registry in Germany: Not possible without previous registration with docs. So, no replica frames.
Just for comparison, my Egli was weighed at the last MOT test at 178Kg with fuel, oil, alternator and starter motor and handles like it is on rails.

Little Honda

Non-VOC Member
Just for comparison, my Egli was weighed at the last MOT test at 178Kg with fuel, oil, alternator and starter motor and handles like it is on rails.
Very well, indeed! I asked a friend for comparison a month ago, but he did not come, so far. I am heading for
190kgs, but not by using upsidedown forks, cast wheels and modern disk brakes. Don´t forget, that the wideline frame is registered for 2up plus sidecar use. What about steering damper on yr Egli? My friend has
one and does not want his Egli be without.

Little Honda

Non-VOC Member
I've just bought a genuine 78 900 SS always a bike I wanted apart from the Vin's........Best sounding motorcycle engine ever in my opinion. Just striped it right to the bare crank......They have a million shims in them.......A sure sign of limited production numbers, not ideal really, very fiddly. They seem to have some weaknesses, like most race bred machines, but the electrical was probably the biggest bind with them.
Mine used to spit off her rear carb from time to time, due to rider´s misbehave to her expectations....

Mike 40M

VOC Member
I don't understand how anybody can claim that a wideline featherbed is more comfortable than a std Vincent.
There was a good reason why Norton introduced the slimline in 1960.
The wideline is as comfortable as it can get when racing, but not on streets and roads.
My son and his friends prefer the comfortable ride on my Comet more than the f/b Nortons or the Gixxers.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
I don't understand how anybody can claim that a wideline featherbed is more comfortable than a std Vincent.
The wideline is as comfortable as it can get when racing, but not on streets and roads.
My son and his friends prefer the comfortable ride on my Comet more than the f/b Nortons or the Gixxers.
I take it they are not on the pillion seat of the Comet, that is if it has standard seat fitment.

Bill Cannon

VOC Member
Very well, indeed! I asked a friend for comparison a month ago, but he did not come, so far. I am heading for
190kgs, but not by using upsidedown forks, cast wheels and modern disk brakes. Don´t forget, that the wideline frame is registered for 2up plus sidecar use. What about steering damper on yr Egli? My friend has
one and does not want his Egli be without.
My Egli had a steering damper, but I took it off years ago and I don't think it is necessary. I have used it for racing as well as road.

vibrac

VOC Member
Never fitted a steering damper on any of my Eglis I raced strangely the only bike that threw me off was at Snetterton on the short straight between the old hairpin and the bridge I was on my Mularney tuned 500 Manx!

ericg

VOC Member
The width of the Featherbed is a problem for short legged people only and that's why they did the Slimline.