F: Frame Norvin out of Dominator 88

Cyborg

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Or think of it this way...Normally you would just slide the tubes up through the clamps. In order to do that with Norton fork tubes (taper at the top) you would need to move the top yoke up, so longer stem and spacer between the top bearing and yoke.

Ps.. if you want to extend one, you could sacrifice another lower yoke. Saves having to turn threads. The alloy stem is my first one so feel the need to show it to everyone on the planet.
BB052D30-B100-4455-B3B3-BFB68259765A.jpeg9A1EBAE9-659A-481A-8227-47247009BF81.jpeg26297FF6-F482-42F6-88EE-0B3A7E2D758A.jpeg630C83D7-50B4-4A80-82D7-E512AE567809.jpeg

Last edited:

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Or think of it this way...Normally you would just slide the tubes up through the clamps. In order to do that with Norton fork tubes (taper at the top) you would need to move the top yoke up, so longer stem and spacer between the top bearing and yoke.

Ps.. if you want to extend one, you could sacrifice another lower yoke. Saves having to turn threads. The alloy stem is my first one so feel the need to show it to everyone on the planet.
View attachment 29896View attachment 29897View attachment 29898View attachment 29899
No alloy yokes ?, I bought the early ones from Gus Kuhn's, In the 70s,
And near one clamp it cracked, The later ones are much stronger, The clamp works in a different way.
Cheers Bill.

Cyborg

VOC Member
No alloy yokes ?,
Cheers Bill.

I was looking at it through the eyes of a cheap DIY guy, so hence the extended stem. I'd like to take a stab at making my own yoke, but need to avoid any more rabbit holes. Times ticking. Now that you mention the Gus Kuhn ones, I vaguely remember them.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I was looking at it through the eyes of a cheap DIY guy, so hence the extended stem. I'd like to take a stab at making my own yoke, but need to avoid any more rabbit holes. Times ticking. Now that you mention the Gus Kuhn ones, I vaguely remember them.
The old ones had gap / Clamp outside on the tube.
Not good.
Also I think the stem is fixed to the top steel yoke. As standard. But my race one was fitted to the bottom ?.
Cheers Bill.

Pushrod Twin

VOC Member
Look no Tubes !.
Remarkably similar to the one featured in Classic Bike, Aug 1982, but I suspect not the same bike. Interestingly, that issue of CB has a reprint of the 1972 article outlining the build of the Norvin Nemesis.
My Vincent adventure started with the desire to build a Norvin when I fell into the ownership of a Wideline Dominator frame back in the '70's and one could argue that the Vin motor I finally found was the perfect candidate, having had the gearbox chopped off. However, I learned that Dominator frames have a tendency to crack the front tubes at the steering head, mine was just starting, so I chose to go down the Egli route. Considering that Fritz reputedly used "Manx steering geometry" combined with mounting the engine as the designers intended, I believe it is the best of both worlds.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Yes I think this was a bit later, The frame was done by an Italian sounding bloke,
I spoke to Phil on the phone, About 5 years ago, I sold him an 1.1/2"GP carb, He said it was better for him to do up an old carb',
He was not happy with the new ones, Bit like Greg.
He told me of the Norvin he had built and that he sold it to a dealer and if I wanted to see it,
It was on a web site
He told me the Steering was a bit heavy and his wife didn't like it on the back, He is a BSA Man !!
He builds really Big Goldie Engines etc,
Another nice bloke to talk to, Very interesting.

Have you been having some good rides with your Egli ?, Cheers Bill.

Last edited:

Cyborg

VOC Member
However, I learned that Dominator frames have a tendency to crack the front tubes at the steering head, mine was just starting, so I chose to go down the Egli route.

As I understand it, they have a tendency to do that if the head steady is omitted as it braces the steering head. Manx had an adjustable one? Y/N?