F: Frame Norvin out of Dominator 88

Chris Launders

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
If I had a complete engine and wanted something more of a cafe racer I would go more along the lines of the road racing version of Nero. Either using a UFM if I had one or making my own, along with the rear subframe and a swinging arm to suit.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Yes or even just a Vincent Steering Head, You could bolt a "D" type tube to the back of it,
Only problem is the oil tank, Which is why Ron made my Special Petrol Tank , Half Petrol, Half Oil,
Like an "A". Cheers Bill.

greg brillus

VOC Member
From my experience and others at the track, most Featherbed frame bikes that feel a bit slow when turning in on cornering are set up too high at the front. I have lowered the front of mine using about a 30 mm spacer and a longer steering stem up front and longer rear coilover shock absorbers at the rear. It behaves quite well, although there is more I want to do in the near future. Early next year I will be swapping out the Jawa speedway engine for a Comet engine ........ ;).

Chris Launders

VOC Member
I've just remembered I have a home made steering head lug, it came to me attached to a pair of Ariel forks and looks to have been made to put the Ariel forks on a Vincent. it uses the Ariel headstock with the rest fabricated, a very neat job it is too. Would that be any use to you ? I have the Ariel forks along with the bearings which still had new grease on so was probably never used.

vibrac

VOC Member
We could all build specials with our own frames Norton replica feather beds or Egli its just engineering. Getting one registered for the road, ah, now that is difficult. I belive step one is not getting a frame or finding the money for an engine its more moving to a country that is less asiduious in control of new built up motorcycles,great crime that it is evidently regarded to be in the UK.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
I'm still thinking that the distance between the lower yolk/bottom of the steering head to the tire contact patch sets the front height.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
Ah well, with a longer stem and a spacer above the top bearing the bottom yoke will be further down the legs, so nearer the ground.