F: Frame Norvin out of Dominator 88

greg brillus

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi there Peter, I thought that might be the case.........seems a shame to dismember another bike, unless it was in bits already. We are a bit luckier here in Australia as we can still get away with building something with a new frame, so long as it has some form of numbers on it. I feel it is a much better proposition to build a Norvin using a "chopped" engine. with the complete engine you have to move the engine as far back as you can, and keep it as low as possible. The right rear down tube next to the swing arm pivot needs to have a flattened area on the inside to give the drive chain some room, and your choice of carburetors is limited unless you want to start removing fins off the rear barrel/head............ I am currently building one with a new replica Wideline frame, using a brand new engine, 1200 cc, electric start and so on..........We are using a pair of Mk 1 Concentric's with special stainless manifolds, and I have flattened a section of the top left tube of the frame to give the carby some room on the inner side of the tube. I do not heat and bash the tube in, I cut a section out and flat sheet weld a new piece in to keep it very neat. I made my own mounting brackets welded to the lower forward frame, and some nice billet alloy engine plates much smaller than the usual ones. The hard stuff is all done now, just need to paint the engine, assemble same and install it hopefully for the last time. I'll make up the rear engine plates latter, as these also form the footrest and exhaust mounts as well.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Did you see the photo I posted years ago, Of Phil Pearson the BSA man, Who had the down tubes cut off ?.
Of his Norvin.
Looked well done., But he said the steering was very heavy.

timetraveller

VOC Member
Bill, I think you will find that the frame, engine, electric starter where the original dynamo was and much more are all the work of one of our German members, Ernst Hegler. He makes the engines etc from scratch and his pre- engaged starter is a pleasure to behold. He brought one of his twins, in what at first sight looks to be a Norton frame but isn't, over to one of Dick Sherwin's barbecues a few years ago and I had a ride on it. A very nice handling bike but I never understand why people put an engine/gearbox unit, designed to be strong enough to be the frame, into a frame.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Look no Tubes !.

Attachments

• Nor-Vin%20TWB291%20098.jpg
    Nor-Vin%20TWB291%20098.jpg
    511.4 KB · Views: 43
  • Nor-Vin%20TWB291%20096.jpg
    Nor-Vin%20TWB291%20096.jpg
    572.9 KB · Views: 41

timetraveller

VOC Member
My understanding is that Ernst will not fit them to standard crank cases. It requires some machining at the back of where the clutch normally sits and he does not like to modify standard castings. Instead he starts from scratch and makes his own crank cases. Makes me feel humble. He does not speak any English but has a fellow Vincent owner who helps with that. Whether he would be prepared to tell you what starter he uses I don't know.

Sebastian Huber

VOC Member
Can't you buy a replica frame and build it from that ........?
Yes, Greg, feel more and more I have to leave my greenly idea to buy a complete Norton and will ride latest in two years a Norvin.
I'not afraid of any work that will pop up but have to have first a clear concept.

Are repilca frames still in production?
Where to ask for?

Got feedback half an hour ago that the Norton I intend to buy was sold to another chap.
Don't worry about that and good luck for the Norton.

Thanks to everyone who joined in. It was a pleasure for me following the discussion.

Cheers
Sebastian

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Bill, I think you will find that the frame, engine, electric starter where the original dynamo was and much more are all the work of one of our German members, Ernst Hegler. He makes the engines etc from scratch and his pre- engaged starter is a pleasure to behold. He brought one of his twins, in what at first sight looks to be a Norton frame but isn't, over to one of Dick Sherwin's barbecues a few years ago and I had a ride on it. A very nice handling bike but I never understand why people put an engine/gearbox unit, designed to be strong enough to be the frame, into a frame.
Yes I can't see me building a Norvin, But If they are done well, I have to like them as a Real Classic.
For me a "D" frame is so simple and the best way to go.
I don't agree with some people who think are not strong enough, I raced mine for 5 years.
Cheers Bill.