PT: Exhaust Norvin - Exhaust System

Mark Fisher

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I run straight 1 5/8” stock Lightning pipes on my Norvin, tough to beat in looks, sound and simplicity in my opinion.View attachment 35275
Can you or anybody else tell me if the use of the lightning pipes will problematic in terms of starting and general sooth running? These pipes would be my preference for the norvin I’m rebuilding. I’m going to be using 30mm premier concentric, mega cycle cams and a BTH, so nothing radical. I just like the look and also the simplicity of these pipes.
mark

vibrac

VOC Member
I suppose in the land of the free its an option
It sure ain't here and I for one am happy with that, we live on a crutch rocket road I love the noise but for sure the current speed limits slowly added to this magic road would not be there if the bikes had been quieter as no one would know they were speeding by. Agents of their own demise.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I don't think it makes any difference, But for sound, I don't think you can beat 2" pipes !.
Even makes my Comet sound Fast !,
But I don't want to upset the Public now, The H.D. boys get away with it,
And we have a bloke near me with a Yamaha V twin is very Loud !, A right Pain !,
I would not mind so much if it was Fast !, But it's a load of Slow Junk.

timetraveller

VOC Member
Years ago when I was production class sprinting and racing the exhaust system was the standard pipes but the 'silencer' was just a piece of straight through pipe welded into a Burgess body. The engine had 9 :1s and MkII cams. Below 2,000 rpm the noise was acceptable. However, open the throttle and it was a bit like tearing a sheet of corrugated iron apart. Never any problem with kick starting though.

davidd

VOC Member
Mark,

Sam has run them for thirty years. If you feel that you can run them it is fine, but you have to stay off the throttle around crowds.

David

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
2" pipes are more Mellow, But ground clearance is less, And you really need Electric Start,

Attachments

• Bill Thomas at Donington Park.JPG
    Bill Thomas at Donington Park.JPG
    272 KB · Views: 21

Mark Fisher

Non-VOC Member
Mark,

Sam has run them for thirty years. If you feel that you can run them it is fine, but you have to stay off the throttle around crowds.

David
Hi Dave! I think I can live with the noise as long as smooth running and starting are not compromised.
mark

davidd

VOC Member
Making them over and under allows you to keep the KS. It helps the ground clearance a bit. It is always a compromise.

image1.JPG

IMG_2193.JPG

Same builder, David Tompkins.

David

Cyborg

VOC Member
Mark,

David
Someone should have told my brother that. The local police chief was sitting at his desk and objected to the noise. He sent a squad car out just to track him down.
B252C21B-FA37-4F64-A1C8-9E275A4F28EA.jpeg