PT: Exhaust Norvin - Exhaust System

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
In another thread Howard was told to use a 4" Slot 3/8" wide at the end,
Me being me maybe more slots !!.
Years ago I had to gut a Goldie on my Special, Which was not too bad on the road,
I went SS Standard Vin' Armours a few years ago, And tried the Goldie on my Comet,
WOW, Even I could not have it that loud.

vibrac

VOC Member
Keeping a standard exhaust pipe on a Egli Comet does mean longer supports

1591434211826.png

Black Flash

VOC Member
From my personal experience with a goldie type silencer on a single can say this.
Nice raspy sound on a low compression standard comet,just acceptable. On my TPV 600cc Comet with 10:1 compression it produces an ear bleeding noise and is totally useless.
I am sure even on the countryside I couldn't do 5 miles without being stopped by a copper.

Rixon

VOC Member
That's interesting. Any idea what make of silencer you've got ?

As far as I can ascertain the Armours Goldie silencer (and in fact all,of their silencers) has a circular plate with a few holes drilled in it (baffle) welded across the pipe. In my opinion this will restrict the gas flow quite seriously but no doubt will make for a quieter exhaust. Knocking this baffle out, which is quite easily done, will result in a straight through silencer with no absorption effect and will be very noisy.

Other manufacturers offer an absorption type Goldie silencer which is claimed to be made as per the original, i.e two perforated tubes with sound deadening material around the circumference.

The problem seems to be getting the correct compromise. I currently have a new Armours Vincent silencer in my possession and can confirm that it's made exactly as described in the first scenario above.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Can't agree, I have 4 S/S Armours they don't have a baffle plate.
I would not have anything that got in the way !.
Maybe it's the Chrome one that does ?, Long time since I have looked at one,
Also Peter showed me one that had been sent back as faulty, Where the bloke tried to knock the baffle out,
And made a Pigs ear of it !!.
Cheers Bill.

Rixon

VOC Member
So the one the chap sent back obviously did have a baffle plate.

It was Armours that told me that all of their silencers have the same internals and that the baffle can be easily knocked out. This was only last week. As I've mentioned, I have a brand new one sitting here now with a baffle plate. It was delivered three days ago.

Either the stainless ones are different, or perhaps they've changed their manufacturing method since you bought yours. Alternatively could they have made yours without the plate knowing your preference ?

Either way, I've found them a super helpful company to deal with but I'm still undecided about their Goldie silencer construction.

By the way how do you find the noise levels on your stainless silencers ?

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Sounds like you are more up to date than me ,
I am talking about Vin' Silencers, Last one was last year, Not a special for me !.
There was a change in staff a few years ago, When the Boss died, I think Peter ?,
I talked mostly with little Peter who retired some years ago,
The ladies in there now are very helpful.
Maybe they are now fitting a baffle to appeal to a new type of customer ??.
I can't see me needing any more :D .
I am pleased with the sound, But I am an old racer, Like my Bikes, Still in race tune !.
And they don't like any baffles .

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I think Armour's would make what ever you want if you know what that is.
That's what they told me a few years ago.

Black Flash

VOC Member
My goldie silencer came from armours too. It was an off the shelf item at the time I bought it. At this time I did not know they will make one up with different design if you ask them to.
I inspected it with a torch light.
It has no wadding at all in it. It has a perforated tube going through it. The tube is cut in half in the middle of the silencer and the two ends welded together with an offset of half the inner diameter. So roughly a quarter of the exhaust fumes can go straight through, the rest dissipates through the perforations into the empty can and reenters again further to the end of the silencer again and out through the tailpipe.
I stuffed it with wire wool, put Harley decibel eaters in the back pipe, tried VW bug endpipes, all sorts of things and finally gave up. I couldn't find a way to tame the noise to an acceptable level without choking the engine.
Finally built a silencer myself with an integrated Helmholtz resonator. The engine noise with the bike stationary measured at 4000 rpm dropped from 110+dB to 84dB. Still the engine is louder when under load. But I can ride it two hours without the need of earplugs.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
So the one the chap sent back obviously did have a baffle plate.

It was Armours that told me that all of their silencers have the same internals and that the baffle can be easily knocked out. This was only last week. As I've mentioned, I have a brand new one sitting here now with a baffle plate. It was delivered three days ago.

Either the stainless ones are different, or perhaps they've changed their manufacturing method since you bought yours. Alternatively could they have made yours without the plate knowing your preference ? .....................
I bought a stainless Armours silencer for my Rapide several years ago and I bought another one last month. Both are straight through, no a baffle.
A bit noisy but not too bad if you are gentle, quite crisp if you are winding it on.