PT: Exhaust Norvin - Exhaust System

Cyborg

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
This is what I came up with. Loops for springs have since been added. I would think that using a flange would make life a whole lot simpler. With the flange assembly in place you could easily tack the header on where you want it... remove and weld. With my setup, you have to make sure the header slides in and then play Pop Yoshimura with the oxy propane and rosebud to bend the pipe. I’m looking at it from a slightly different perspective because I have self imposed rules about doing everything in-house. That means factoring in equipment and skill level. Also my project is more of a cake decorating exercise and not a racer, so looks matter more. My spring arrangement has a Mad Max look about it, which I’m not all that thrilled with.
Anyway, please do post a photo or two. Hopefully it’s a moot point and my setup works and it’ll look better when it’s coated.

30247021-0044-4054-BAD5-A2F737100916.jpeg
C42B5D16-9908-4750-AC3C-46E33D7F360A.jpeg

vibrac

VOC Member
This is what I came up with. Loops for springs have since been added. I would think that using a flange would make life a whole lot simpler. With the flange assembly in place you could easily tack the header on where you want it... remove and weld. With my setup, you have to make sure the header slides in and then play Pop Yoshimura with the oxy propane and rosebud to bend the pipe. I’m looking at it from a slightly different perspective because I have self imposed rules about doing everything in-house. That means factoring in equipment and skill level. Also my project is more of a cake decorating exercise and not a racer, so looks matter more. My spring arrangement has a Mad Max look about it, which I’m not all that thrilled with.
Anyway, please do post a photo or two. Hopefully it’s a moot point and my setup works and it’ll look better when it’s coated.
Mad max or not its speed of on and off that matters with a racer and you know what? things that are on a racer today often become fashion items tomorrow
incidentally now we have some time I may see about ceramic coating of the pipes if Roy Robertson does it,then it has to be an efficient improvement (and another fashion statement for tomorrows 'bike shed' gang)

Cyborg

VOC Member
I could well be delusional, but praying that once the pipe is on there it will stay on there for a season or two. My current plan is for ceramic coating as well, although I did consider paint briefly. I’ll stick with my springs, but starting to like the idea of anything ( like the flanges) that cuts down on the initial build time. May be false economy and just kicking the can down the road, but it would be nice to have this project wrapped up so I can focus on the next one. No more specials in the foreseeable future. Way too time consuming.

PS. Widelines are prettier.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
I have a spare set of MK5 cams and followers in a drawer somewhere. Now and then when looking for something else I see them and think " new project"
Reality says this is a bit like rebuilding a blown up human starting with just a nose.
Fun though!

Glen

Last edited:

Les Thomson

Non-VOC Member
My homemade pipes, some like & some don't, i do. photos of the flanges i made
I turned up rings to match stubs that screw into head.welded flange on pipe, after making pipe slipped ring over pipe. Ring can be rotated to line up with stub in the head. 6 positions

Rixon

VOC Member
Well I've settled on standard pipes but upswept at the end. Waiting for their arrival from Armours so we can give them a "tweak". Looking at a Goldie silencer -but from who ? The Armours silencer gets mixed reviews. As supplied it seems to have a restrictive baffle fitted. This can be knocked out but then is probably too noisy. Feked do a UK made silencer that is allegedly the same internal construction as the original type but I've yet to find any info on them. Any recommendations ?

davidd

VOC Member
I agree with Tim on this one. I went through all types of spring held exhausts and ultimately settled on the stock system as the best. This has a lot to do with how much lock wiring you have to do to keep the springs on the pipe. If your spring fractures it cannot be allowed to fall off because if you run over a fractured spring it will almost certainly puncture your rear tire. As a result, you have to run extra lock wiring through the springs to keep it them place during a fracture.

I used 1213 to seal the joint every time I assembled the pipe. I think that the original set-up takes less work and provides a better seal. I don't have a problem getting the nuts on. I rotate the ring backwards until I feel a "click" and then turn it the other way. That works for me most every time. Of course, I only have to do the front, which is probably the easiest to get right.

The racing Gold Star megaphone added 3 BHP to David Tompkins' engine. I have never run a street silencer on a dyno.

David

Rixon

VOC Member
I think they'd be a bit too noisy for me. They do look great though.

Here's a mock-up of mine with the original exhaust modified and also with a NOS Goldie silencer with BSA fittings.
Exhaust 2.jpg

Exhaust 1.jpg

Last edited: