PT: Exhaust Norvin - Exhaust System

Rixon

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I'm ready to mock up an exhaust system for the Norvin.

Most examples I've seen (including Eglis) seem to use two into one pipes and a gold star silencer. Modern Eglis also seem to use a 2" exhaust pipe. I've no particular preference on a silencer but it would be nice to use something different. Obviously at this stage the pipes and silencer can be any size or type.

Is a goldie silencer less restrictive than the standard Vincent item? I'm assuming so as the Vincent silencer doesn't seem to be used very often. Are there any other recommendations ? Bike is for road use only so nothing too noisy.

vibrac

VOC Member
I believe ( and I am just involved in getting a racing system fabricated) that power wise current thinking is that 2" is too big the next set is a fraction over standard as I am having two stub exhausts and the main pipes secured with springs over them. Playing about with that fine thread in the exhaust port is a job for a bright morning in the workshop not in a wet paddock when the race has been called.
All of which matters not on the road which is why 2" pipes still are seen on specials and the look of the silencer governs the end
Of course counter intuitive as it is, the race track is the only place that noise is measured nowadays there are no police and many riders don't seem to care about bad bike publicity

Robert Watson

VOC Member
Maybe Robert Watson will post a pic of his Supertrap exhaust.
Geez Bruce, make me go looking......... It is reasonably Hi res (ish) so you can blow it up a bit. It's all welded
up from 1 3/4" mandrel bends and into I think a 2 1/4" (2 1/2?) collector, A little crude but done some 30 odd years ago. The pic is from 2008 and it is still just like that on the bike.

IMG_1713.JPG

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I bought a Goldie Silencer years ago and it really messed my bike up,
It had a small hole in the middle,
You will have to look at what ever you buy,
I think the best is the Armour's Stainless, But you might find it a bit loud.

stu spalding

VOC Member
More exhaust makers will have 1 3/4" mandrels compared to 1 5/8". This may have some bearing on your choice of maker. Cheers, Stu.

brian gains

VOC Member
Of course counter intuitive as it is, the race track is the only place that noise is measured nowadays there are no police and many riders don't seem to care about bad bike publicity

mmm, I had an interesting appearance at Bow Street magistrates court related to an alleged excessively noisy exhaust on a Bonneville back in the 80's. Too many police and I don't like any publicity, fortunately an enlightened magistrate was presiding.

Rixon

VOC Member
Thanks for the useful info. I'm familiar with Supertrapp products as I was a Harley owner in a previous life. They seem to get very mixed reviews - anyway I've sent them an email. Lets see.

I have been looking at other Harley silencers but they tend to be expensive and only sold in pairs.

Size wise I can tailor the pipes to suit as I'll probably have them made from scratch.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
As Armours make them on site, I think they would do you a Special, Shame you are a bit far away from them.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
I have a standard pipe/Goldie set up on my Norvin and to be honest it is a bit loud, I'm thinking of fitting a straight through Vincent type I have on my twin, much quieter but still not restrictive.

Last edited: